PETA raps Navjot Sidhu for using animals for protestJune 27th, 2008 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 27 (IANS) The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Friday objected to Bharatiya Janata Party MP and former cricketer Navjot Singh Sidhu using animals, “who hold no political position”, to protest rising inflation. The MP had used horses and an elephant to protest against the government on the issues of rising inflation and fuel price hike Monday.
In a letter to Sidhu, the chief functionary of of the animal rights group, Anuradha Sawhney, has said PETA activists and animal lovers were upset with his protest in which he used animals to drive home his point.
“PETA loves a good protest better than a Bollywood actress loves the red carpet, but there is no need to force animals - who hold no political position - to participate,” the letter said.
Taking up the case of the animals, PETA pointed out that the horses and elephant used in his protest would have been frightened and confused in the action initiated by the police to disperse the protesters.
“Imagine going through what you did - being charged by police wielding batons, hit by water cannons, and surrounded by screaming people - but not having any understanding of what is happening or why,” the PETA letter said.
The protesters, led by Sidhu, had to face a mild baton charge and streaming water cannons aimed by the police as they tried to take their protest from the Sector 16 cricket stadium here to the governor’s residence.
PETA has urged Sidhu to be more careful and concerned about animals in future and not to use them for political events.
- Police cane protesting trade union workers in Mumbai - Mar 06, 2010
- Navjot Sidhu complains against fake Facebook page - Jul 26, 2012
- Uphold ban on horse-drawn carriages, says PETA - Sep 23, 2011
- Chidambaram cornered, should resign: BJP - Aug 10, 2011
- Protesting employees caned in Srinagar - Apr 06, 2011
- Police baton charge unruly protesters demanding quota - Feb 08, 2010
- Protesting BJP workers taken into custody - Aug 11, 2011
- BJP, police clash again at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Celina sends flowers to police officers - Jul 30, 2009
- McCartney raises voice to save baby elephant in India (With Image) - Jul 26, 2012
- Navjot Sidhu arrested for protesting inflation - Jun 23, 2008
- Animal rights groups want tongas to stay off Delhi roads - Jul 18, 2012
- Record 21 chief parliamentary secretaries in Punjab - Apr 06, 2012
- CELINA JAITLEY SHOWERS PUNE POLICE WITH FLOWERS - Jul 31, 2009
- Punjab gets 21 new chief parliamentary secretaries - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: animal lovers, animal rights group, anuradha, bollywood actress, cricket stadium, cricketer, elephant, ethical treatment of animals, fuel price hike, inflation, janata party, navjot sidhu, people for the ethical treatment of animals, peta activists, political position, protesters, red carpet, sawhney, treatment of animals, water cannons