People’s faith keeps me going: Prem SinghDecember 9th, 2008 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 9 (IANS) Choudhary Prem Singh, speaker of the outgoing Delhi assembly, says it is “people’s faith” in his leadership that has helped him never lose an election in the last 50 years.The veteran Congress leader who has made it to the record books by winning all elections from the Ambedkar Nagar constituency in south Delhi since 1958, gives the credit for his latest victory to people.
In 1958 and 1962, he was elected to the municipal corporation; in 1967, 1972, 1977 and 1983 to the metropolitan council; and in 1993, 1998, 2003 and now in 2008 to the Delhi assembly.
“It is the belief of voters in my leadership that has made me win all elections,” Singh told IANS Tuesday.
Singh, 76, defeated Suresh Pahlwan of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) by over 5,000 votes in the assembly elections, whose results were announced Monday.
Singh said that after the delimitation exercise several wards have been added to his constituency and his focus will be to develop these areas. Another important project Singh is looking forward to is getting Metro connectivity in his constituency.
“The work is already on the Central Secretariat-Mehrauli Metro link. I want this line to be stretched to Ambedkar Nagar,” Singh added.
His son Choudhary Pramod Singh is municipal councillor from Madangir in south Delhi.
- 15 legislators managed fourth consecutive term in Delhi - Dec 08, 2008
- Delhi civic polls: BJP headed for win (Third Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi court issues summons to MCD councillor - Jun 15, 2012
- Delhi cop robbed of seized bike by traffic violator - Jun 14, 2012
- New mayor for south Delhi civic agency - May 02, 2012
- Delhi assembly says ex-speaker yet to return items - Apr 21, 2010
- Deposit Rs.50,000 for case against Delhi Speaker, BJP leader told - Mar 22, 2012
- New Mayor for east Delhi civic agency - May 01, 2012
- Congress releases first list for Uttar Pradesh polls - Aug 22, 2011
- Young professionals in MCD poll fray root for change - Apr 09, 2012
- 49 newly-elected MCD councillors face criminal charges - Apr 19, 2012
- Delhi teacher held for raping ex-student, making MMS - Dec 26, 2011
- Court to hear legislator's plea against NDMC - Jan 27, 2011
- More Rajasthan ministers likely to be axed - Oct 17, 2011
- MPs pay tribute to Neelam Sanjiva Reddy - May 19, 2012