People should protest country liquor consumption: Biman BoseJanuary 5th, 2009 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 5 (IANS) People should come forward and protest against the consumption of poisonous country-made liquor, West Bengal’s ruling Left Front (LF) chairman Biman Bose said Monday, as the toll in a hooch tragedy here rose to 23.”This is a social responsibility for all of us to protest and destroy the illicit country-made liquor shops in West Bengal,” Bose told reporters here.
He said the illegal liquor kiosks owners were creating nuisance in society.
At least 23 people have died since Saturday night in northern Kolkata after consuming illegal country-made liquor.
Six people have been arrested and three officers of the excise department and city police have been issued show-cause notices after the incident.
Mamata Banerjee, leader of the state’s principal opposition Trinamool Congress, blamed the LF government for the tragedy.
“The state government is only promoting sales of excise products in West Bengal. The government feels no moral obligation to serve the interest of common people.”
“I’ve no faith in the probe initiated by the government. There should be a higher-level of enquiry into the incident,” Banerjee said.
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Hooch sellers to be helped into alternate trade: Mamata - Dec 23, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Hooch sellers want financial package from Mamata - Dec 22, 2011
- Calcutta HC stays compensation to hooch victims' families - Feb 07, 2012
- Many deaths in hooch tragedy due to government's negligence: Left - Dec 17, 2011
- Mamata to lead rally against illegal liquor Dec 30 - Dec 23, 2011
- WB Congress demands CBI probe in Hooch tragedy - Dec 17, 2011
- Left Front walks out of all-party meeting on hooch - Dec 19, 2011
- Township must be named after Jyoti Basu: Left - Oct 21, 2011
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy mounts to 15 (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Communists have no moral right to honour Netaji: Mamata - Jan 23, 2012
- Sitting judge should head Magrahat firing probe: Left Front - Dec 04, 2011