People need political alternative: AnnaAugust 5th, 2012 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 5 (IANS) Social activist Anna Hazare Sunday said it was during his five-day fast at Jantar Mantar last week that he realised the need to give a political alternative to the people.
The septuagenarian and his team announced their foray into politics after ending their agitation for a stricter anti-graft bill Friday. Team Anna members Arvind Kejriwal, Gopal Rai and Manish Sisodia had also been fasting for a week.
“The people had constantly been asking for a political alternative in the democracy. People turned up at my village Ralegan Siddhi, and even at Jantar Mantar,” Hazare posted on his blog ‘Anna Hazare says’.
“Then I realised that it is important to provide them (people) an alternative. Their demand is right,” the veteran activist added.
Hazare, 75, said it was after struggling for over a year for the Jan Lokpal Bill that he realised the need for a political alternative.
“Our long struggle and betrayal (by the government) go into this decision. It is not easy to give an alternative, but it is not impossible,” he wrote.
Hazare reiterated that he would not contest the polls, but continue efforts against corruption.
“I am repeating that I will not contest any elections. But I will travel across the country and motivate people to develop a corruption-free India,” Hazare said.
- Team Anna ends fast, spells out political alternative (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- Not launching political party: Anna Hazare (Interview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Army ex-chief joins Anna bandwagon - Aug 03, 2012
- Government trying to break Team Anna, says Hazare (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Anna slams government, Kejriwal to carry on fast (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Hazare's fast enters fourth day - Aug 01, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Bring Lokpal or go, Anna tells UPA (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Kejriwal, Rai to continue fast despite failing health (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Team Anna has hidden agenda, says Narayanasamy - Jul 27, 2012
- No talks if fasting protesters forcefully removed: Anna Hazare (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Team Anna to end fast in V.K. Singh's presence - Aug 03, 2012
- Hazare's health stable on second day of fast - Jul 30, 2012
- Bring Lokpal or go, Anna tells UPA (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: agitation, anna hazare, anti graft, arvind kejriwal, betrayal, blog, corruption, democracy, elections, foray, free india, gopal rai, manish, New Delhi, polls, septuagenarian, siddhi, social activist, struggle, veteran activist