People in Bihar voting for peace, says Nitish KumarMay 7th, 2009 - 1:47 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 7 (IANS) People are voting for development and peace, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said after casting his vote at his ancestral home Bakhtiyarpur near here.
Appealing to voters to come out in large numbers to cast their franchise, the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief said: “I am very happy to use my right of vote and appeal to people to vote in large numbers.”
He said people were upbeat and it was a good sign.
“People have been voting for development and peace; it is a positive shift in Bihar.”
The chief minister had left Patna by train in the morning for Bakhtiyarpur, 55 km from here, where his mother and elder brother live.
Bakhtiyarpur falls under the Patna Saheb constituency, one of the three of Bihar’s 40 constituencies going to the polls in the fourth phase of the elections.
The contest in Patna Saheb is between two showbiz stars — Bharatiya Janata Party’s Shatrughan Sinha and Congress’ Shekhar Suman.
Voting began at 7 a.m. amid heavy security arrangements in view of the threat of Maoist violence.
About 4.89 million voters in the three constituencies of state are eligible to exercise their franchise to decide the fate of 57 candidates.
- Not worried about low turnout: Nitish Kumar (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Bihar polling ends peacefully, 40 percent turnout expected (Second Lead) - May 07, 2009
- Lalu confident of RJD's good performance in Bihar - May 07, 2009
- Polling peaceful but slow in Bihar (Lead) - May 07, 2009
- 33 percent voting in Bihar polls, FIR against Lalu (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Sporadic trouble in round four of Bihar polls (Roundup) - Nov 01, 2010
- Peaceful voting on in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- It's Shotgun versus Shaker (Poll curtainraiser - Bihar) - May 06, 2009
- Shekhar Suman resigns from Congress - Feb 18, 2012
- Polls begins on peaceful note in Bihar - May 07, 2009
- Bihar bypoll peaceful, 55 percent voter turnout - Nov 30, 2011
- Popular personalities in Kashmir and Bihar cast vote - May 07, 2009
- Four million vote in fifth phase of Bihar polls (Roundup) - Nov 09, 2010
- Four million vote in peaceful fifth phase of Bihar polls (Intro-Roundup) - Nov 09, 2010
- JD-U, BJP leading in Bihar - May 16, 2009
Tags: ancestral home, chief minister, constituencies, constituency, development and peace, elder brother, fourth phase, franchise, heavy security, janata party, jd, large numbers, maoist, nitish kumar, patna, security arrangements, shatrughan, shatrughan sinha, shekhar suman, showbiz stars