People deserve credit for democracy’s success: Meira KumarMay 13th, 2012 - 1:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar Sunday congratulated Indians on the 60th anniversary of parliament and said they deserved the real credit for success of democracy owing to their enthusiastic participation in elections.
Speaking at a special sitting of the Lok Sabha to mark its 60th anniversary, Kumar said millions of people of toil hard for their living and participate in the democratic process.
“I bow to people of the country…they are the determinants of its path,” Kumar said.
She also recalled the contributions of Lok Sabha speakers before her.
The special sitting began with the playing of the National Anthem.
- Parliament light pillar of democracy: Meira Kumar (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- We're committed to democracy despite odds, say India's leaders (Afternoon Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Special session to mark 60 years of Indian Parliament - May 05, 2012
- Parliament resolves to uphold its supremacy - May 13, 2012
- Involve developing countries in MDG, Speaker tells UN chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Firmly reject those mocking democratic institutions: PM (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Parliament turns 60, MPs urged to introspect (Roundup) - May 13, 2012
- PM congratulates Anand (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Lok Sabha hails Olympic medal winners - Aug 13, 2012
- SAARC MPs' conference concludes with call for peace - Jul 11, 2011
- Indian envoy meets Indonesian parliamentary speaker - Jun 12, 2012
- Lok Sabha congratulates Olympics medal winners - Aug 08, 2012
- India is a great and successful democracy: Advani - May 13, 2012
- PM, Sonia congratulate Pranab - Jul 22, 2012
- Lok Sabha speaker to to visit Iran - Oct 30, 2011