Peaceful start to polling in MaharashtraApril 16th, 2009 - 10:51 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 16 (IANS) Polling began on a peaceful note in 13 parliamentary constituencies in Maharashtra Thursday morning, officials said.
The 13 constituencies are in eastern Maharashtra’s Vidarbha region and part of the Marathwada region. The seats are Buldana, Akola, Amravati, Wardha, Ramtek, Nagpur, Bhandara-Gondia, Gadchiroli-Chimur, Yavatmal-Washim, Chandrapur, Nanded, Parbhani and Hingoli.
Around 18.1 million voters will decide the fate of 246 candidates, including 119 independents. Polling stations opened at 7 a.m.
“There is adequate security and there have been no reports of any untoward incidents so far,” a poll official told IANS.
The dominant issues here are suicides by debt-burdened farmers, inflation, lack of drinking and irrigation water supply, Maoist insurgency and development.
The polls will unravel the fate of three ministers from the ruling Congress-led-United Progressive Alliance (UPA) - Praful Patil, Suryakanta Patil and Vilas Muttemwar.
- In Maharashtra, 246 candidates in contest Thursday - Apr 14, 2009
- Maharashtra recording low voter turnout, polling peaceful (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Maharashtra records 54 percent voter turnout (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- BJP-Shiv Sena alliance intact in Maharashtra (Lead) - Mar 13, 2009
- Hazare to start Maharashtra tour for Lokayukta bill - Apr 30, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi to hold a road show in Nagpur - Apr 06, 2009
- Rain gods smile on Maharashtra - 116 percent rainfall so far - Aug 25, 2010
- Vidarbha shutdown called Jan 20, united front formed - Jan 07, 2010
- Kalavati travels in ambulance to file poll nomination papers (Lead) - Sep 25, 2009
- Kalavati falls ill, may not contest Maharashtra polls after all - Sep 25, 2009
- Farmers' widows hold silent protest at Rahul rally - Oct 09, 2009
- Kalavati out of polls, her party cites 'pressure' - Sep 29, 2009
- 25 Vidarbha farmers committed suicide in a week: activist - Mar 29, 2010
- Few surprises, five new faces in Congress' first Maharashtra list - Mar 24, 2009
- Statehood call shuts down Maharashtra's Vidarbha region - Jan 20, 2010
Tags: adequate security, amravati, dominant issues, independents, insurgency, irrigation water supply, maharashtra, maoist, marathwada region, nagpur, parbhani, parliamentary constituencies, peaceful note, polling stations, praful, progressive alliance, thursday morning, UPA, vidarbha region, vilas muttemwar