Peaceful polling in Uttarakhand (Lead)January 30th, 2012 - 1:14 pm ICT by IANS
Dehradun, Jan 30 (IANS) Polling proceeded peacefully in the hill state of Uttarakhand Monday as people queued up in the morning cold to vote for 70 assembly constituencies.
Voting began across 9,806 polling booths at 8 a.m. Monday, Election Commission (EC) officials said here. Some 6.3 million people are eligible to exercise their franchise.
Along with Uttarakhand, polling is taking place in Punjab.
In Uttarakhand, Chief Minister B.C. Khanduri, who replaced Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank last year after corruption allegations surfaced against him, is trying to defend the turf for the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
Khanduri, a BJP candidate from Kotdwar, is pitted against Congress nominee Surendra Singh Negi. Dissent within the BJP ranks could affect its prospects, party sources admit.
Former chief minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank, Leader of Opposition Harak Singh Rawat and state Congress chief Yashpal Arya are also among the more than 780 candidates in the fray.
Polling will be on till 5 p.m.
Votes will be counted March 6.
- Polling peaceful but slow in Uttarakhand (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies - Jan 29, 2012
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Congress holds edge in split Uttarakhand verdict (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP's Khanduri loses in Uttarakhand - Mar 06, 2012
- Bahuguna distributes portfolios, retains 24 departments - Apr 02, 2012
- Punjab, Uttarakhand register record polling (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Khanduri again becomes Uttarkahand chief minister - Sep 11, 2011
- Congress, BJP neck-and-neck in Uttarakhand (Fourth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Bahuguna proves majority amidst walkout - Mar 29, 2012
- Voting begins in Uttarakhand - Jan 30, 2012
- Uttarakhand battle heads for close finish between BJP, Congress (Seventh Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- It may be BJP-Congress tie in Uttarakhand (Fifth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP gets slender lead in Uttarakhand seesaw battle (Sixth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Bright sun brings highest turnout in Uttarakhand (Third Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: arya, assembly constituencies, bjp candidate, chief minister, corruption allegations, dissent, ec, election commission, franchise, kotdwar, leader of opposition, negi, party sources, polling booths, prospects, punjab, rawat, state congress, turf