PDP steps up protests against Omar Abdullah governmentOctober 14th, 2011 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 14 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir’s Peoples Democratic Party has stepped up its protests against the “rampant corruption” in the Omar Abdullah government, holding another rally here Friday where it demanded the chief minister quit for “legitimising corruption”.
Women activists of the party took out the rally, following the party’s youth, students and other wings, who began protests since Oct 1, the day after the custodial death of National Conference worker Syed Mohammad Yousuf, who allegedly took Rs.1.18 crore from two fellow party workers, promising them a minister of state post and membership of the legislative council in return.
PDP leader Vijay Dogra said the “one and only noticeable achievement of the present dispensation was legalising corruption”.
PDP vice president T.S. Bajwa, meanwhile, told IANS that his party will continue to protest against the National Conference government.
Yousuf died of a cardiac arrest, a day after he was handed over to police by Omar Abdullah at his residence Sep 29 for a probe into the alleged bribe taking charges.
The chief minister also ordered a judicial probe into the death, but the oppposition cried foul.
While the Bharatiya Janata Party and Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party have been demanding a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation into the death and the circumstances and alleged illicit transaction, the PDP has been asking for resignation of the chief minister in the interest of a fair probe.
The PDO has held rallies in Srinagar, Jammu and other places across the state, charging the government with patronising corruption.
- PDP marches to highlight corruption in Kashmir - Oct 24, 2011
- Hazare turning blind eye to corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba - Oct 07, 2011
- Centre silent on misdeeds of Omar government: PDP - Nov 15, 2011
- PDP stages protest march in Srinagar, demands Omar quit - Oct 05, 2011
- Don't speculate over Kashmir custodial death: Congress - Oct 06, 2011
- Commission begins probe into NC worker's death - Nov 29, 2011
- Omar to serve defamation notice on Mehbooba Mufti - Oct 03, 2011
- Farooq denies bribery allegations - Oct 06, 2011
- Yousuf's death has exposed rampant corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba Mufti (Interview) - Oct 09, 2011
- PDP influencing eye-witnesses: Omar - Oct 08, 2011
- National Conference worker died of heart failure: Forensic report (Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- Omar government telling lies, claims Mehbooba - Oct 29, 2011
- National Conference begins drive to reactivate cadres - Oct 17, 2011
- Please for CBI probe into activist's death rejected - Nov 01, 2011
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: bajwa, bharatiya janata party, bribe, cardiac arrest, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, crore, custodial death, dispensation, dogra, jammu and kashmir, judicial probe, legislative council, minister of state, mohammad yousuf, panthers party, pdo, rampant corruption, women activists, youth students