PDP steals march over NC, announces candidates for Kashmir seatsApril 12th, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, April 12 (IANS) The opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Jammu and Kashmir has stolen a march over the ruling National Conference (NC) by announcing its candidates for all the three Lok Sabha constituencies in the Valley.
PDP’s senior vice president Iftikhar Hussain Ansari will be the party candidate for Srinagar parliamentary seat. With the announcement - made simultaneously in Jammu and Srinagar, the PDP has declared its candidates for all the three seats in the Kashmir Valley - Dilawar Mir from Baramulla in north Kashmir, Peer Mohammad Hussain from Anantnag in south Kashmir and now Ansari from Srinagar.
The NC has only announced its candidate from Anantnag - Mehboob Beg, who had lost the Anantnag assembly constituency to PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed in the November-December 2008 assembly poll.
After Peoples Conference chairman and separatist leader Sajad Gani Lone’s announcement that he would contest the elections from Baramulla, NC party sources in Jammu said that the task of selecting a winnable candidate for the constituency has become difficult.
The party has never lost the northern Kashmir parliamentary constituency, with Abdul Rashid Shaheen being the sitting MP. But the NC is having a “rethink” this time, the sources said.
A candidate for the Srinagar parliamentary seat, which was represented for three times since 1998 by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, is also a big challenge for the party. There is speculation that Omar’s father and former Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah may be asked to contest, especially as Ansari has a sway over Shia votes in the Valley with Srinagar having a considerable number of Shias.
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- Defeated PDP candidate in fray from Kashmir - Apr 06, 2009
- National Conference leads in 3 Jammu and Kashmir seats, Congress in 2 - May 16, 2009
- NC-Congress leading in four Kashmir seats (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
- All eyes on Sajjad Lone (Poll Curtainraiser - Jammu and Kashmir) - May 12, 2009
- PDP stages protest march in Srinagar, demands Omar quit - Oct 05, 2011
- Pranab to visit Kashmir to scout for support - Jul 08, 2012
- National Conference, PDP will slug it out in Srinagar (Curtainraiser -Kashmir) - May 06, 2009
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
- NC-Congress combine sweeps Kashmir polls - May 16, 2009
- Poll victory shows alliance unity: Omar - Apr 13, 2011
- 'Coalition politics future governance mantra in India' - May 02, 2012
- PDP wants army special powers revoked in entire state - Nov 21, 2011
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Voting begins on dull note in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2009
Tags: abdul rashid, anantnag, ansari, assembly poll, chief minister, conference chairman, dilawar, gani, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, lok sabha constituencies, north kashmir, parliamentary constituency, parliamentary seat, party candidate, sayeed, senior vice president, separatist leader, south kashmir