PDP slams Election Commission for rescinding by-poll notificationApril 24th, 2009 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 24 (IANS) The opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Friday criticised the Election Commission’s decision to rescind the by-poll notification for the Hazratbal assembly constituency in the Kashmir Valley.
Addressing a media conference here, PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said: “The EC (Election Commission) decision to annul the poll notification for the Hazratbal assembly constituency is aimed at helping the National Conference (NC) candidate whose nomination papers were accepted by the returning officer in violation of the rules.”
The election to the Hazratbal assembly seat was to be held May 7 to coincide with the fourth phase of the Lok Sabha polls in the Srinagar Lok Sabha seat but the orders were rescinded by the Election Commission Thursday evening. The Hazratbal assembly constituency is within the Srinagar Lok Sabha constituency.
The returning officer of the Hazratbal constituency had reportedly accepted the nomination of Mustafa Kamal despite objections from the PDP candidate and others that there were discrepancies in the NC candidate’s papers.
The PDP president also alleged that the ruling NC was bent upon rigging the elections in Kashmir putting a question mark on the credibility of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who had been asserting that polls in Jammu and Kashmir would be free and fair.
“This development has brought the prime minister’s credibility into question,” Mehbooba Mufti said.
The Hazratbal assembly by-election became necessary after the NC legislator and party president Farooq Abdullah resigned to contest the Rajya Sabha elections from the state earlier this year. Now he is a candidate for the Srinagar Lok Sabha seat.
- By-poll in a Kashmir constituency cancelled - Apr 24, 2009
- Mehbooba Mufti set to be re-elected PDP chief - Oct 25, 2011
- Srinagar by-poll on May 30 - Apr 30, 2009
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- PDP supporters protest against EC's decision in J-K - Apr 27, 2009
- Defeated PDP candidate in fray from Kashmir - Apr 06, 2009
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
- Hisar Lok Sabha, five assembly by-polls Oct 13 - Sep 07, 2011
- Farooq Abdullah to file nomination for Srinagar seat - Apr 13, 2009
- Munda to be ruling alliance joint nominee for by-poll: Soren - Jan 18, 2011
- Process for Bengal's second phase poll begins Wednesday - Mar 29, 2011
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Bypoll to South Kolkata Lok Sabha seat Nov 30 - Nov 01, 2011
- Mamata to fight Bhowanipore assembly seat Sep 25 (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Ruckus in Kashmir assembly over cricket scam - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: assembly seat, commission decision, election commission, fourth phase, jammu, kashmir valley, lok sabha polls, manmohan, manmohan singh, mehbooba mufti, mustafa kamal, nomination papers, party president, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, question mark, rajya sabha, returning officer, sabha constituency, sabha elections