PDP is party of Jammu too: MuftiMay 27th, 2012 - 11:00 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 27 (IANS) Mufti Mohammed Saeed, patron of the main opposition PDP, Sunday dispelled the impression that his party was Kashmir-centric and declared that it was as much as the party of Jammu region as that of the Valley.
“We want to be as much alternative political party in Jammu region as we are in the Kashmir Valley”, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader told a public meeting at Hiranagar, 65-km south-west of Jammu. He said that the PDP believed in the progress of all the three regions of Jammu and Kashmir.
“Our agenda is not confined to the Valley alone”, he said. It was his political way of saying things that the party has extended its reach to Jammu region and it was much a voice of the people of Kashmir as that of Jammu.
Jammu had been voting for Congress, BJP and National Conference in the past elections. It was only in the 2008 Assembly polls that that PDP could win two of the region’s 37 seats.
The Mufti also dispelled the impression that his party’s manifesto of “self-rule” was seeking a solution outside of the Indian constitution. “It is possible within the parameters of the Indian constitution,” he said.
The PDP had brought out self-rule document as an alternative to the greater autonomy demand of the National Conference. The NC used to claim that its autonomy document is seeking the restoration of Article 370 in its original form, when the state had control over all subjects barring external affairs, communications and defence.
Self-rule, however, had pleaded for empowerment of the regions across the territory of Jammu and Kashmir - including the parts of the state, currently under Pakistan’s control.
- 'Self-rule can negate adverse effects of partition' - Jul 07, 2011
- NC to move resolution for solution of Kashmir issue - Feb 23, 2011
- Mehbooba seeks positive approach on Kashmir problem - Aug 29, 2012
- Chinks in Mirwaiz-led Hurriyat Conference? - May 07, 2012
- PDP takes out 'resolution' rally - Feb 14, 2011
- PDP to hold first major public meet in Jammu - Mar 11, 2011
- Autonomy cannot solve Kashmir issue: Mehbooba Mufti - Aug 12, 2010
- Roots in Kashmir, PDP spreads branches in Jammu - May 03, 2010
- Disappointed, say Kashmiris to interlocutors' report - Oct 15, 2011
- PDP presses for Kashmir resolution - Feb 19, 2011
- Mixed response to report on Centre-Kashmir ties - Dec 24, 2009
- Self-rule formula to solve Kashmir problem: Mehbooba Mufti - Oct 20, 2009
- Mufti Sayeed accuses National Conference of 'double standards' - Sep 24, 2011
- Committed to equal growth in all Kashmir regions: PDP - Nov 30, 2011
- Kashmir interlocutors' report likely by February end - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: assembly polls, autonomy, bjp, congress, democratic party, empowerment, external affairs, indian constitution, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, manifesto, mohammed saeed, opposition, pakistan, parameters, patron, rule document, saying things, self rule