PDP built bridges between Kashmir and Delhi: MehboobaJune 20th, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 20 (IANS) Coming down heavily on the critics of her party, who term Peoples Democratic Party as an anti-national outfit, party president Mehbooba Mufti Saturday said it was during PDP’s rule in Jammu and Kashmir when “bridges were built between Kashmir and New Delhi”.
“It was during PDP rule that ceasefire was effected on borders and people were relieved of tensions on the borders,” she told a meeting of party workers here.
She also said that during party patron Mufti Sayeed’s chief ministership (2002-2005) “prime ministers could land in Srinagar and move about in cars”.
“When (then) prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee arrived in Kashmir in April 2003, there were 40,000 people at his public meeting. This was a sharp contrast to the days when prime ministers would fly in choppers and never touch the ground.”
Mufti appealed to the people of Jammu that they should understand the PDP’s demand - for revocation of Armed Forces Special Powers Act and reduction of troops - in the right perspective.
“Now when militancy is down and there are not even 500 militants, why should we have so much military force among us. Why should they (security forces) have the special powers to shoot?” she asked.
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- Revocation of AFSPA inevitable: Mufti Sayeed - Nov 11, 2011
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- Centre silent on misdeeds of Omar government: PDP - Nov 15, 2011
- India-Pakistan peace process must continue: Sayeed - Jul 30, 2012
- Mehbooba Mufti roots for unconditional dialogue on Kashmir - Sep 15, 2010
- Yousuf's death has exposed rampant corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba Mufti (Interview) - Oct 09, 2011
- Omar's troubles persist -- now over his remedy - Nov 28, 2011
- Kashmir not a problem of mere stone pelting: Mufti Sayeed - Jul 30, 2011
- Autonomy cannot solve Kashmir issue: Mehbooba Mufti - Aug 12, 2010
- Roots in Kashmir, PDP spreads branches in Jammu - May 03, 2010
- Manmohan-Zardari meet a good beginning: Mufti - Apr 08, 2012
- Mufti's call for government change in J&K; - May 26, 2012
- PDP demands revocation of armed forces special powers act - Apr 26, 2010
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
Tags: borders, bridges, ceasefire, chief ministership, choppers, democratic party, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mehbooba mufti, militants, military force, New Delhi, party president, patron, prime ministers, revocation, security forces, srinagar, tensions, vajpayee