Pawar wants consensus on presidentJune 13th, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) Sharad Pawar, chief of the Nationalist Congress Party which is a United Progressive Alliance (UPA) constituent, Wednesday stressed on building consensus on the next president and refused to comment on the names suggested by alliance parties headed by Mulayam Singh Yadav and Mamata Banerjee.
“We need to talk again and how we can arrive at a consensus… would not like to comment on any one name. We have to see how we can unanimously arrive at a common name and how we can make a way through… we have to evolve a consensus,” Pawar told a TV channel.
His remark came after Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh and Trinamool Congress chief Banerjee together announced the name of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh along with those of former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee for the July 19 presidential poll.
Pawar said he will react on any names only after they had been discussed with him by the Congress leadership.
Pawar was the first Congress-led UPA’s constituent to meet Congress chief Sonia Gandhi last month over the issue and had stressed on consensus.
- Kalam the best candidate for president: Mamata - Jun 14, 2012
- Capital drama: Manmohan joins Pranab in presidential roulette (Roundup) - Jun 13, 2012
- Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mamata to skip UPA meet, dares Congress to snap ties (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Congress for consensus over confrontation on presidential poll - Jun 14, 2012
- Didn't behove of Mamata to suggest Manmohan's name: Congress - Jun 14, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Didn't behove of Mamata to suggest Manmohan's name: Soni (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- We have not rejected any name: Samajwadi Party - Jun 14, 2012
- Mamata plays pivotal role in presidential talk (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Will support UPA candidate: Pawar - Jun 14, 2012
- Manmohan's name for presidency a Congress gimmick: CPI - Jun 13, 2012
- We can't spare Manmohan Singh, says Congress (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Presidential polls: BJP woos Jayalalithaa, NDA to meet Friday (Third Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Advani, Jayalalithaa to 'coordinate' on presidential polls (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, building consensus, congress leadership, former president, Lok Sabha, mamata, manmohan, manmohan singh, mulayam singh yadav, nationalist congress party, party chief, presidential poll, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, sharad pawar, somnath chatterjee, sonia gandhi, trinamool congress chief, tv channel