Pawar leads team to Orissa’s riot-hit KandhamalNovember 18th, 2008 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 18 (IANS) A three-member central government team led by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar Tuesday reached Orissa’s Kandhamal district to take stock of the situation in the region where at least 38 people were killed and thousands rendered homeless in communal violence in recent months.The delegation, which also includes Tribal Affairs Minister P.R. Kyndiah and Social Justice Minister Meira Kumar, visited a relief camp at Raikia, a district police official told IANS on phone. They are to visit relief camps in Tikabali and Nuagaon, he said.
The official added that they would also travel to the ashram where Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda and four of his aides were killed, allegedly by Maoists.
The team is to talk to victims, religious leaders, district officials and police officials.
Pawar, Kyndiah and Kumar arrived in Bhubaneswar Monday, met Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in the state secretariat and discussed measures taken by the state government in the area.
Kandhamal district, some 200 km from here, witnessed large-scale communal violence, mostly attacks on Christians and their places of worship, after the Aug 23 killing of Laxmanananda and his aides.
Though Maoist rebels have claimed responsibility for the killings, radical Hindus hold Christians responsible, despite repeated denials by Christian organisations.
At least 38 people lost their lives in the communal violence that ensued and more than 20,000 people were rendered homeless. Around 10,000 people are still living in government-run relief camps.
The three ministers, accompanied by central government officials, are here to review the relief and rehabilitation measures of the state government in the riot-hit areas.
- Pawar-led team in Orissa, to visit violence-hit region - Nov 17, 2008
- Pawar meets Kandhamal victims, reviews situation (Lead) - Nov 18, 2008
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Kandhamal still tense: Pawar - Nov 19, 2008
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Pawar to head central team to Kandhamal - Nov 11, 2008
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Kandhamal nun gangrape trial begins - Jul 26, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets jail for murder in Kandhamal riots - Sep 09, 2010
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Explosives found, blast averted in Kandhamal - Oct 19, 2011
- Two convicted, 10 acquitted in Kandhamal riots cases - Apr 01, 2010
- Rights panel concerned over farmers' suicides in Orissa (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, central government officials, christian organisations, communal violence, maoist rebels, meira kumar, rehabilitation measures, sharad pawar, state secretariat, vishwa hindu parishad