Patrick Kennedy Would Not Run For Re-Election To CongressFebruary 12th, 2010 - 9:14 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Washington, Feb 12, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Representative Patrick Kennedy has taken the decision of not seeking re-election to the United States House of Representatives, reports claim. According to reports that have surfaced on Thursday, the Rhode Island Democrat, son of late Senator Edward Kennedy has taken the decision as he is ‘taking a new direction’ following the death of his father in the month of August last year.
In a message that is scheduled to be televised later on Sunday, the 42 year old Democratic politician has confirmed his plans of retiring from the office after pursuing a political career spanning across two decades. The taped message also witnesses the leader expressing his gratitude to the Rhode Island voters for supporting him throughout his tenure. Meanwhile, the retirement of Patrick Kennedy is likely to come as a significant blow for the Democrats as it would pose a major hurdle in maintaining their majority in the House as well as in the Senate in the elections that are scheduled to be held in the month of November. At the same time, the Rhode Island Democrat’s departure from the Congress would mean that the US Congress would be without a member of the Kennedy family for the first time in half a century. A Kennedy family member has been associated with the Congress since 1946, when his uncle John F. Kennedy was elected in the House of Representatives and who later went on to become the President.
Patrick Kennedy was elected in the House of Representatives in 1994 and is presently serving his eighth term. His father Senator Edward Kennedy pioneered healthcare reform and passed away last year after serving 47 years in office.
- Patrick Kennedy Announces Retirement - Feb 14, 2010
- Kennedy likens Palin's crosshair images to Arizona shootings - Jan 12, 2011
- Obama ropes in 3 Indian Americans for re-election campaign - Feb 24, 2012
- US Senator Kennedy passes away - Aug 26, 2009
- RFK's Grandson Joseph F. Kennedy Decides Against Seeking Election - Mar 02, 2010
- Longest serving US Senator Byrd dies at 92 - Jun 29, 2010
- RIP Ted Kennedy: Lion of the Senate at peace - Aug 26, 2009
- Edward Kennedy: A Tribute To The Senator - Aug 26, 2009
- FBI files show that Ted Kennedy received threats - Jun 15, 2010
- Attorney General Maratha Coakley Massachusetts' Democratic Candidate For Senate Seat - Dec 09, 2009
- Bayh not seeking re-election can hamper Democrat's prospects in US Senate - Feb 16, 2010
- Romney sweeps five states, readies to battle Obama - Apr 25, 2012
- Senator Kennedy suffers seizure during Obama's luncheon (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer aged 77 (Part-I) - Aug 26, 2009
- Senator Evan Bayh all set to retire - Feb 16, 2010
Tags: democratic politician, edward kennedy, eighth term, family member, gina gomez, half a century, healthcare reform, house of representatives, hurdle, john f kennedy, kennedy family, month of august, month of november, new direction, patrick kennedy, political career, representative patrick kennedy, senator edward kennedy, united states house of representatives, us congress