Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back SangmaJune 27th, 2012 - 11:36 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 27 (IANS) Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik left for New Delhi from here Wednesday to be present while former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma filed his nomination for the presidential election Thursday, an official said.
Patnaik, who is also the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) chief, was the first to announce Sangma’s name for the president’s post.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa and Bharatiya Janata Party leaders were among the others who have announced their support for Sangma.
“The chief minister is expected to return Saturday or Sunday,” an official of Patnaik’s office told IANS.
“Sangma is filing his nomination Thursday. Patnaik will accompany him,” the official said.
Patnaik left for New Delhi a day after Sangma’s son Conrad Sangma met him here at Naveen Nivas, the chief minister’s official residence.
Conrad Sangma later told reporters that about 100 BJD legislators and parliamentarians, from the Odisha assembly, the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, have signed a paper expressing their support for Sangma.
While 50 members, including the chief minister, have signed as proposers, others put their signatures as seconders, he said.
The BJD has 108 members in the state’s 147-member assembly, 14 members in the Lok Sabha and seven in the Rajya Sabha.
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- Pranab hopeful of Mamata's support (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Pranab to campaign in Odisha July 11 - Jul 01, 2012
- A tribal should occupy Raisina Hill: Naveen Patnaik - Jun 21, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
- People taking interest in presidential poll: Sangma (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency - Jun 16, 2012
- BJD to field Dilip Tirkey for Rajya Sabha - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bhubaneswar, chief minister, conrad, j jayalalithaa, june 27, legislators, Lok Sabha, member assembly, New Delhi, nomination, odisha, parliamentarians, party leaders, presidential election, rajya sabha, signatures, tamil nadu