Patnaik asked to prove majority WednesdayMarch 8th, 2009 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 8 (IANS) Orissa Governor Murlidhar Chandrakant Bhandare Sunday asked Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to prove majority in the assembly March 11 after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) withdrew support to the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) government.
Patnaik along with many of his ministers and party legislators met the governor at the Raj Bhavan Sunday and informed him that he had the support of more than 74 legislators - the majority mark in the 147-seat house.
The BJD has 61 members and says it has the support of at least 14 legislators.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and Communist Party of India (CPI), which have one member each, have said they will support the Patnaik government.
The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM), which has four legislators, has also said it will support the BJD in case of a floor test, its legislature party leader Bimal Lochan Das said.
The BJD and BJP, allies for 11 years, parted ways after their talks for seat-sharing in Orissa for the Lok Sabha elections failed Saturday night. The state goes to polls in two phases - April 16 and 23.
The BJP, which has 32 members in the assembly, then withdrew support to the Patnaik government and demanded the imposition of the president’s rule in the state arguing that people had voted the coalition to power and not the BJD alone.
- BJD-BJP split changes equations, Left pushes for Third Front (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2009
- Left, JMM to help save Orissa government - Mar 09, 2009
- Vote for party's Rajya Sabha candidates, BJD tells legislators - Jun 13, 2010
- Protests as Orissa text brackets JMM with Maoists (Lead) - Jul 28, 2010
- Orissa textbook terms JMM 'disturbance creator' - Jul 28, 2010
- NCP withdraws support to BJD in Orissa - Dec 29, 2010
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Congress backs Orissa businessman for Rajya Sabha - Jun 07, 2010
- BJP backtracks, votes for JMM candidate - Mar 30, 2012
- Patnaik wins trust vote, Orissa opposition alleges manipulation (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 11, 2009
- Orissa examines textbook after protest by JMM - Jul 29, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers - Jun 01, 2012
- Patnaik slams petrol price hike - Nov 05, 2011
- BJD seeks fringe parties support to save government - Mar 08, 2009
- Vishwa Hindu Parishad terms Naveen Patnaik as ''anti-Hindu'' - Mar 09, 2009
Tags: 11 years, bharatiya janata party, bhubaneswar, biju, bjp allies, chandrakant, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, imposition, jharkhand, jmm, legislators, lochan, lok sabha elections, march 11, orissa, party leader, raj bhavan