Patil asks media to highlight positive newsJanuary 25th, 2011 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 25 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Tuesday called upon the media to work in a positive spirit to highlight good work done by individuals and organisations that can set right examples in society. In her address to the nation on the eve of the Republic Day Wednesday, Patil said there were numerous examples of outstanding conduct in the country where Good Samaritans are rendering yeoman service to society, some civil society organisations are putting in selfless work, as are some philanthropists, scientists and educationalists doing pioneering work.
“By highlighting such actions, the media can inspire others to follow good examples, and I would urge the media to work in a positive spirit, as it expands its reach and coverage,” she said in her televised address.
Noting that the media played an important role in bringing information, news and views to the public, she said this generated awareness, promoted discussion on issues and created perceptions.
“A responsive and responsible media is an asset in maintaining the vitality of democracy and its institutions,” she added.
The government has been facing the heat over a number of corruption-related cases, including the conduct of the Commonwealth Games last year and the second generation airwave allotment to telecom companies, that have been seen wide media coverage in the recent months.
- Remove bad fruit but do not bring down the tree, says president - Jan 25, 2012
- Education key to empowering people: President - Oct 28, 2010
- Zuma lauds Hindus' role in South African struggle - Jun 01, 2012
- Honour Mother Teresa by caring for the unloved: Patil - Aug 28, 2010
- 'Loner' teacher in UK jailed for lesbian affair with 15-year-old pupil - Dec 09, 2010
- President Patil gives a call to make education amalgam of knowledge - Oct 23, 2010
- President calls for constructive approach to JPC impasse (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Be role models against graft, president tells teachers - Sep 05, 2011
- UK teacher faces jail after lesbian affair with 15-year-old pupil - Nov 12, 2010
- Make CSR mandatory, says philanthropist Sitaram Jindal - Jun 03, 2012
- No nation can prosper without its borders being secure: President Patil - Mar 09, 2011
- Pranab acknowledges 2G note to PMO but declines comment - Sep 22, 2011
- Why Congress finds itself in political doldrums (Comment) - Aug 13, 2011
- India's armed forces capable of thwarting any aggression: President - Mar 09, 2011
- Ajmer set to host first global Sufi fest - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: allotment, civil society organisations, commonwealth games, corruption, democracy, good samaritans, information news, media coverage, New Delhi, news and views, perceptions, positive news, positive spirit, president pratibha patil, republic day, responsible media, second generation, selfless work, telecom companies, vitality