Patients and politics go well together (Political Prattle)March 18th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 18 (IANS) As far as this doctor-turned-politician is concerned, it’s a double dose. The Trinamool Congress candidate from Barasat town in West Bengal has hit the campaign trail with a stethoscope in hand.
Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar, the candidate, said: “I am campaigning, at the same time checking up the women who come to attend my meetings. I cannot neglect my patients, nor my duty as a politician.”
But it isn’t just the health of patients that she wants to set right.
“During my campaigning, I see the dismal condition of West Bengal, as far as people’s health is concerned. The Left Front government has done nothing to develop the situation.”
Chand eludes not just Fiza, but constituency too
Where is Chander Mohan alias Chand Mohammed? The former Haryana deputy chief minister seems to be eluding not only his estranged second wife Fiza but also his Congress party and people in his constituency.
Besides Fiza - alias Anuradha Bali - whom he married after changing his religion but sent a ‘talaq’ (divorce) SMS soon after, people in the Kalka assembly seat, which he has represented four times, are also waiting to hear from him as the general elections are around the corner.
The ruling Congress party in Haryana has officially had no idea of his whereabouts ever since the Chand-Fiza love episode burst upon the public scene in December last year.
It is a different matter that he is reported to be in London, from he is said to have sent his last few messages, including the triple ‘talaq’ SMS to Fiza to divorce her.
Congress’ casino caper
To have or not to have a casino, that seemed to be the question raised by Parminder Kaur, an All India Mahila Congress (AIMC) vice president.
Kaur said the “AIMC had no moral issues vis-a-vis offshore casino gambling in Goa”. This left a few on the dais red-faced as present there was the unit’s Goa president, Monica Dias, who has in the past been very vocal about the social repercussions of the casino industry on women.
For Dias, the matter-of-fact statement on casinos was a bit touchy. Little surprise that she took charge of the rest of the meet, totally elbowing out Kaur.
Ask Varun-Maneka, says BJP
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has had to put up with a volley of questions on Varun Gandhi, who allegedly made communally inflamed speeches. One even compared him poorly with his animal activist-MP mother Maneka Gandhi.
A mediaperson asked a BJP spokesperson in Delhi: “What kind of a mother-son duo are they? Mother says do not harm even a dog and son talks about cutting people’s hands?”
The question left the spokesperson looking for cover and he replied: “Direct the question to them, I cannot answer.”
-Indo-Asian News Service
- Fiza Mohammed found (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Fiza dies in mysterious circumstances (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Varun meets Sonia, invites her to wedding - Feb 16, 2011
- Fiza cremated in Chandigarh - Aug 07, 2012
- Chand Mohammed says 'talaq' to Fiza from London (Lead) - Mar 14, 2009
- Fiza to pursue legal battle against Chander Mohan - Oct 29, 2009
- Chand Mohammed says 'talaq' to Fiza over phone - Mar 14, 2009
- Sonia, Rahul to be invited for Varun's wedding: Maneka - Sep 27, 2010
- I will welcome Chand with shoes, says angry Fiza - Jun 01, 2009
- Talaq via SMS, email un-Islamic, say Muslim scholars - Mar 15, 2009
- Notice to Varun Gandhi for defamatory remarks during Lok Sabha polls - Jul 28, 2010
- Chand Mohammed gives talaq to Fiza - Mar 14, 2009
- Varun Gandhi ties the knot, aunt Sonia misses ceremony (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- More cash, jewellery comes out of Fiza's lockers - Sep 13, 2012
- Chand now wants to return to Hinduism, live with mother - Jul 27, 2009
Tags: aimc, assembly seat, campaign trail, chand, chander, congress candidate, congress party, dais, deputy chief minister, double dose, general elections, ghosh, mahila, moral issues, offshore casino, parminder, prattle, stethoscope, trinamool congress, west bengal