Party will decide PM candidate: AdvaniOctober 10th, 2011 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) While not ruling himself out as a prime ministerial candidate, veteran Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani Monday said a decision would be taken by the party at an appropriate time.
Advani, who begins a 38-day Jan Chetna Yatra Tuesday across several states, said there was no dearth of leaders in the BJP.
“Who will be prime minister, the party will decide when the time comes. Three years are still left for the elections. However, the (United Progressive Alliance) government has been run in a way that it can fall anytime. People are tolerating it,” Advani said, answering queries from mediapersons.
“There is no dearth of leaders (in the BJP capable of being prime minister),” he said.
Advani, 83, had sought to put at rest speculation about his yatra being linked to prime ministerial sweepstakes in the BJP after he met Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat in Nagpur last month.
“I became a swayamsevak of the Sangh, then a member of Jan Sangh and then BJP,” Advani said. “I feel what I have got from these organisations, from my colleagues, from the country, is much more than the post of prime minister,” Advani had said after meeting Bhagwat to seek his blessings for the yatra.
- Advani hints he may not be PM candidate in 2014 - Sep 21, 2011
- RSS, BJP deny differences on Advani yatra - Sep 21, 2011
- Advani is emotive as Rajnath calls him PM material (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- UPA is byword for corruption: Advani - Oct 21, 2011
- Advani turns 84, recalls association with RSS - Nov 08, 2011
- Jogi asks Advani to declare yatra expenditure - Nov 24, 2011
- Advani on 'weak' PM: Just calling a spade a spade (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2011
- RSS justifies chief's statement on PM candidate (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jun 20, 2012
- RSS justifies chief's statement on prime ministerial candidate (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- In yatra mode, Advani slams UPA, ducks PM candidate issue - Oct 10, 2011
- RSS backs Narendra Modi as prime ministerial candidate - Jun 20, 2012
- Advani says 'yatra' not to 'repackage' him - Oct 27, 2011
- Advani's 'yatra' not for PM's post: Gadkari - Sep 29, 2011
- Advani's yatra an attempt to fast-forward 2014 polls: Congress - Oct 10, 2011
- Sharad Yadav dodges queries on Modi as PM row - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: alliance government, bhagwat, bjp, blessings, chetna, colleagues, dearth, jan sangh, l k advani, mohan, New Delhi, organisations, prime minister, prime ministerial candidate, progressive alliance, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, speculation, sweepstakes, veteran, yatra