Party will decide on presidential candidate: PranabJune 9th, 2012 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 9 (IANS) Considered a strong contender for being named the Congress’s presidential candidate, union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Saturday said it was for his party to decide on the nominee for the top post.
“The party (Congress) will decide. The party nominates. You cannot become president just because you want to,” Mukherjee told mediapersons outside his residence here.
Amid indications that Congress could declare its presidential candidate next week, the party’s top leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, met in New Delhi Friday to discuss issues concerning the government.
Congress sources said the party could declare its presidential candidate by the middle of next week.
- Congress top brass meets, presidential nominee likely next week - Jun 08, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential polls Wednesday - Jun 12, 2012
- Presidential poll: No name finalised, says Congress - Jun 09, 2012
- Speculation on Pranab's candidature grows after Bengal leader's pitch (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Presidential poll: Priority to evolve consensus, says Congress - May 03, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Presidential poll: Mamata meets Sonia as Congress seeks UPA consensus (Lead) - May 03, 2012
- Countdown begins, presidential poll on July 19 (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- No regrets on not becoming PM, says Pranab - Jun 29, 2012
- India has got a very able president: Somnath - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab files nomination for presidential election - Jun 28, 2012
- Congress leader denies contacting Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- UPA names Pranab as presidential candidate (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: contender, kolkata, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, party chief, party congress, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sonia gandhi, union finance minister