Participants threaten to pull out of Univision’s debateOctober 6th, 2011 - 10:41 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Oct 6 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Univision’s planned debate for the GOP presidential hopefuls is on the cliffhanger after five of the participants threatened to pull out. The threat follows reports that the network used an embarrassing story of Sen. Marco Rubio’s brother-in-law to force him to grant an interview.
Statements were issued on Tuesday from the camps of the leading candidates that they will not appear on the debate if the Spanish channel does not make amends for the inconvenience that they caused with the publication of the defamatory story. The candidates who have threatened to pull out of the debate are Gov. Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann.
The debate is scheduled to take place on the 29th of January 2012. The date is just two days to the date of the Florida primary.
Univision has reacted to the allegation leveled against the network. In a statement, the network said they did not do anything wrong in the publication of the story. They said that they carried out the story about the 24-year-old brother-in-law of Rubio in fair manner. The network called allegations that they tried to strongarm Rubio as “absurd.”
The story of Rubio’s brother-in-law being arrested for drugs was carried by Univision last July.
- Michele Bachmann to meet Donald Trump again - Nov 21, 2011
- Romney thumps Gingrich, regains momentum - Feb 01, 2012
- Mitt Romney is backed by Kelly Ayotte - Nov 23, 2011
- Jason Alexander responds to Mitt Romney's Seinfeld comment - Feb 25, 2012
- Republican presidential candidates spar over everything - Sep 08, 2011
- Ron Paul attacks Romney, Bachmann and Perry - Aug 17, 2011
- Michele Bachmann's son turns down Playgirl offer - Apr 21, 2011
- Romney picks up two big endorsements - Mar 30, 2012
- Lowans still looking for outstanding GOP contender ahead of Caucuses: Poll - Apr 30, 2011
- John McCain endorses Mitt Romney - Jan 05, 2012
- Diplomacy what? Barack Obama mocks Donald Trump at 'Nerd Prom' - May 01, 2011
- Republican lawmaker Pawlenty apologizes for cap-and-trade support - May 01, 2011
- Democrats not happy with Romney's first TV ad - Nov 22, 2011
- GOP candidate to debate in Sioux City Iowa - Dec 16, 2011
- Gingrich, Romney in dead heat spar over immigration - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: allegation, allegations, brother, cliffhanger, drugs, florida primary, gop, herman cain, huntsman, inconvenience, jon huntsman, michele bachmann, mitt romney, participants, presidential hopefuls, rick perry, spanish channel, univision