Parrikar’s Lokayukta promise caught in red tapeApril 5th, 2012 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 5 (IANS) Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar’s election promise to implement the Lokayukta within hundred days of coming to power is now at the mercy of New Delhi’s power corridors.
Speaking to reporters here Thursday, Parrikar said one central ministry had raised an objection vis-a-vis the Goa Lokayukta bill.
“We hope to have some positive news in the next 15 days. One department has raised some questions,” Parrikar said without naming the department.
Parrikar also said that Goa’s chief secretary Sanjiv Srivastava had been asked to liase with the central government officials to ensure expeditious clearance from the centre.
The chief minister’s office has also asked Goa Governor K. Sankaranarayan to ensure speedy clearance of the legislation.
Parrikar, appointed chief minister of a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led coalition government March 9, had promised to constitute the office of the Lokayukta in Goa within 100 days of coming to power.
He also hinted that all of Goa’s illegal mining cases would be first handed over to the Lokayukta.
- BJP asks governor to follow up on Goa Lokayukta bill - Mar 07, 2012
- Parrikar's innings at office begins with chaos at swearing in - Mar 09, 2012
- Parrikar still hooked to 'Nayak'-like solutions (Goa Newsletter) - Jun 16, 2012
- Lokayukta to probe sensitive cases after appointment: Parrikar - Apr 30, 2012
- BJP manifesto promises Goa Lokayukta within 100 days - Feb 19, 2012
- Goa to pass Lokayukta law this week: Kamat - Oct 03, 2011
- Central government to blame for illegal mining: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Alina Saldanha's entry into Goa cabinet deferred - May 08, 2012
- Congress accuses BJP of 'U-turn' on casino, illegal mining - Aug 22, 2012
- Mining dumps in Goa the next Congress-BJP battleground? (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- No jobs offered to ex-BJP legislator, says Goa Congress - Sep 13, 2011
- BJP-MGP alliance routs Congress-NCP in Goa (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Parrikar dares Centre to find, shut illegal Goa ore mines - Sep 05, 2012
- Goa temporarily suspends all mining operations - Sep 10, 2012
- Goa will achieve 15 percent growth rate: Parrikar - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, central government officials, chief minister, chief secretary, coalition government, corridors, election promise, goa, hundred days, legislation, manohar parrikar, New Delhi, objection, positive news, red tape, sanjiv srivastava