Parrikar likens Advani to ageing pickle, BJP quiet (Lead)September 22nd, 2009 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji/New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Manohar Parrikar has likened party veteran L.K. Advani to ageing pickle and said his political innings were “more or less over”. Most party leaders preferred to remain silent to the remarks.
Advani had only a couple of more years left in active politics, the former Goa chief minister told a local news channel Monday.
“Pickle tastes good when it is left to mature for a year. But when if you keep it for more than two years, it turns rancid… Advani-ji’s period is more or less over. Another couple of years, maybe. But he should be around as a guide or a mentor for the party members,” Parrikar said.
However, Parrikar, currently leader of opposition in the Goa assembly, said Advani had been the best leader in the BJP in terms of integrity and character. “I have great respect for Advani-ji on these counts,” he said.
Calling for a change in guard at the party’s helm, Parrikar, 54, said it would have to project a new youthful face with credibility.
“I am not against elders, but the BJP should give prominence to leaders who are between 40 and 60 years,” he said.
Party spokesperson Ravi Shanker Prasad refused to answer any queries on the matter.
“I don’t know anything. I am not supposed to react to everything,” he said and hung up.
While Prakash Javadekar, another party spokesperson, did not respond to calls, Rajiv Pratap Rudy’s cell phone was switched off.
Said party vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi: “I would not know about this; I was busy with Eid festivities.”
- Advani like rancid pickle: Goa BJP leader (Second Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- Advani like rancid, ageing pickle: BJP leader Parrikar - Sep 22, 2009
- Goa chief minister to pen 'hilarious, bestselling' memoir (Goa Newsletter) - May 11, 2012
- Parrikar calls Advani 'rancid pickle' - Sep 22, 2009
- Goa BJP backs Parrikar to succeed Rajnath, downplays pickle remark - Sep 25, 2009
- Is Parrikar going soft on ruling Goa Congress? (News Analysis) - Feb 24, 2011
- Goa's Manohar Parrikar no longer riding pillion (Profile) - Mar 07, 2012
- BJP organ hails Advani, flays others - Jun 01, 2012
- NDA to decide presidential nominee Sunday - Jun 16, 2012
- Congress slams BJP for admitting Kushwaha (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Parrikar's mining flip flop angers activists - Jul 17, 2012
- Parrikar sworn-in as Goa chief minister - Mar 09, 2012
- Congress to face opposition heat over CAG report - Aug 05, 2011
- BJP, JD-U not on same page over next president - May 01, 2012
- Gadkari-Munde feud inspires a sequel in Goa - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chief minister, festivities, goa assembly, l k advani, leader of opposition, likens, manohar parrikar, mukhtar, party leaders, party members, party spokesperson, pickle, prakash, prasad, prominence, rajiv pratap, rancid, youthful face