Parliament observes 9th anniversary of Dec 13 attackDecember 13th, 2010 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) Cutting across party lines, MPs came together Monday to offer floral tributes and remember the nine people, including eight security personnel, killed in the terror attack on Parliament House nine years ago.Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj were among the first to lay floral wreaths near the photographs of those killed when five heavily armed terrorists stormed the parliament complex Dec 13, 2001.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, BJP leader L.K. Advani, ministers and other MPs paid floral tributes to them near the photographs mounted on the outer wall of Parliament House.
As Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel presented arms and buglers played the Last Post, MPs and dignitaries observed a minute’s silence to remember the nine people, including eight security personnel, killed in the attack.
After the ceremony, Advani condemned terrorism and pledged that the nation “stands united to fight it”.
“Their (the terrorists) conspiracy to attack parliament where ministers and politicians were sitting ducks was foiled by these people. Had they succeeded, it would have been the biggest tragedy for the Indian democracy,” Advani told reporters.
A blood donation camp was also organised to mark the ninth anniversary of the attack.
- Political acrimony pauses to remember terror attack - then continues (Roundup) - Dec 13, 2010
- Hang Afzal call grows loud, nation remembers 'martyrs' (Roundup) - Dec 13, 2011
- Indian leaders pay tribute to martyrs of parliament attack - Dec 13, 2009
- Parliament remembers Tagore - May 08, 2012
- Tributes paid to martyrs of parliament attack (Lead) - Dec 13, 2009
- Divided on JPC, MPs unite against terror - Dec 13, 2010
- Tributes to Parliament attack martyrs Monday - Dec 12, 2010
- Prime Minister pays tribute to Sardar Patel on 135th birth anniversary - Oct 31, 2010
- India observes ninth anniversary of Parliament attack - Dec 13, 2010
- Parliament attack recalled, families want Afzal hanged - Dec 13, 2011
- Dadabhai Naoroji remembered on his 185th birth anniversary - Sep 04, 2010
- Floral tributes paid to Dr. Lohia on his birth anniversary - Mar 23, 2011
- Punish guilty in parliament attack case: BJP - Dec 13, 2010
- Parliament to mark 2001 terror attack - Dec 12, 2009
- Parliament adjourned for 11th day, MPs pay tribute to 26/11 victims (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: bjp leader, blood donation camp, buglers, congress president sonia gandhi, floral tributes, floral wreaths, hamid ansari, indian democracy, l k advani, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, meira kumar, ninth anniversary, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, reserve police, sitting ducks, sushma swaraj