Parliament not to publish members’ assets details onlineMay 8th, 2011 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) At a time when even the Supreme court judges have put details of their assets and wealth online, the two houses of parliament have ruled out publishing such details of its members online.
In reply to a query under the Right to Information (RTI) Act, the Rajya Sabha’s ethics committee said it was felt that since details of assets and liabilities of members can be availed by anyone after written permission from the Rajya Sabha chairman, uploading could be avoided.
“It was the considered view of the committee that since any person could ask for the information of the Register (of Declaration of Assets and Liabilities), there appears no need to place the same on the website,” committee director Sunita Sekaran said.
She was replying to a RTI application filed by activist S.C. Aggarwal, who had asked for information on the steps taken by the union government for the declaration of wealth of members of legislature and judiciary on government website.
In its reply, the Lok Sabha secretariat said that no steps were taken by it for uploading the assets and liabilities on its website.
“Lok Sabha Secretariat maintains information pertaining to assets and liabilities of members of Lok Sabha as required under the provisions of Representation of the People Act, 1951 and Members of Lok Sabha (Declaration of Assets and Liabilities) Rules, 2004,” said Lok Sabha information cell under secretary Savita Sharma.
- President declares assets worth Rs.2.5 crore - Jul 25, 2011
- 70 Lok Sabha MPs yet to reveal assets - Apr 17, 2010
- 70 Lok Sabha MPs hadn't revealed assets till Feb 24 (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Apr 17, 2010
- 7 Rajya Sabha MPs fail to furnish assets details - Sep 24, 2010
- Apple a day: Lok Sabha MPs to get iPads - Dec 01, 2011
- 140 Rajya Sabha MPs have assets but no financial interests - Nov 18, 2011
- PM, cabinet ministers declare their assets - Sep 03, 2011
- 'No action against MP who tore Lokpal bill' - Feb 01, 2012
- President should make public her assets: RTI activist - Jun 17, 2011
- No dues pending against any Rajya Sabha MP, finds RTI plea - Aug 25, 2009
- Nitish, Bihar ministers declare assets - Jan 03, 2012
- Jayant introduces private bill to amend RTI Act - Apr 27, 2012
- MPs can now use iPads in house - Jun 04, 2012
- Sitting, former MP owe MTNL over Rs.9 crore - Nov 22, 2011
- Mayawati added Rs.23.64 crore to her wealth in two years - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: activist, aggarwal, assets and liabilities, committee director, declaration of assets and liabilities, government website, houses of parliament, judiciary, lok sabha secretariat, New Delhi, rajya sabha, reply, rti application, savita, secretariat, sunita, supreme court judges, union government, uploading, website committee