Parliament light pillar of democracy: Meira Kumar (Lead)May 13th, 2012 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) Terming parliament as the “light pillar” of democracy, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar Sunday said the two houses of parliament were custodians of the country’s interests.
Speaking at a function in the central hall of parliament to mark the 60th anniversary of the first meeting of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, Meira Kumar paid her respects to the people of the country whose participation in successive elections has given roots to democracy. She also paid respects to the framers of constitution.
The speaker said the concept of democracy is believed to have originated in ancient India but the system then was not based on universal franchise. “A new era of people’s power began on May 13, 1952 (the first day Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha met).”
Meira Kumar said 15 general elections have been held so far, and nearly 80 crore people were eligible to exercise their franchise in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
She said doubts about success of democracy in India have been dispelled. “India is looked upon with respect and surprise. Parliament is the light pillar democracy.”
Earlier, speaking in the Lok Sabha, Meira Kumar congratulated people on the occasion saying they deserved the real credit for success of democracy owing to their enthusiastic participation in elections.
She said millions of people toil hard for their living and participate in the democratic process. “I bow to people of the country,” she said.
She also recalled the contributions of Lok Sabha speakers before her.
- People deserve credit for democracy's success: Meira Kumar - May 13, 2012
- We're committed to democracy despite odds, say India's leaders (Afternoon Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Firmly reject those mocking democratic institutions: PM (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Parliament turns 60, MPs urged to introspect (Roundup) - May 13, 2012
- Meira Kumar completes two years as Lok Sabha speaker - Jun 02, 2011
- At parliament goodbye, President Patil cautions against disruptions - Jul 23, 2012
- Special session to mark 60 years of Indian Parliament - May 05, 2012
- Pakistan MPs to visit India for SAARC meet - Jul 06, 2011
- SAARC MPs' conference concludes with call for peace - Jul 11, 2011
- Trivedi's fate rocks parliament, forces adjournment - Mar 15, 2012
- Involve developing countries in MDG, Speaker tells UN chief - Apr 28, 2012
- Manmohan a man of peace: Gilani (With Images) - Feb 22, 2012
- Meira Kumar applauds Myanmar parliament's new look - Jul 05, 2012
- Meira Kumar completes two years as Lok Sabha speaker (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Women play key role in Indian policy making: Meira Kumar - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: 60th anniversary, ancient india, concept of democracy, crore, democracy in india, doubts, enthusiastic participation, first meeting, framers of constitution, franchise, general elections, houses of parliament, lok sabha polls, meira kumar, New Delhi, new era, parliament, pillar, rajya sabha, respects