Parliament disrupted again over coal block allocationAugust 22nd, 2012 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) Both houses of the parliament were adjourned soon after they met Wednesday as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led opposition renewed its demand for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s resignation over the official auditor’s report on coal block allocation.
In the Lok Sabha, speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the house till 12 noon after BJP members refused to allow proceedings and rushed towards her podium raising slogans.
The scene was similar in the Rajya Sabha, prompting chairperson Hamid Ansari to adjourned the house till 11.30 a.m.
On Tuesday, both houses of parliament were adjourned for the day on the issue.
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), India’s official auditor, had last week revealed that the lack of transparency in the allocation of coal blocks to private players resulted in a loss of Rs.1.85 lakh crore ($37 billion) to the exchequer as on March 11 last year.
The audit report does not directly indict the prime minister or his office. But during the time these mining blocks in question were allotted, the coal portfolio was held by him — between July 2004 and May 2009.
- Furore in Lok Sabha over coal scam - Aug 21, 2012
- Parliament again disrupted over coal scam - Aug 23, 2012
- BJP renews demand for PM's resignation, disrupts parliament (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- BJP corners PM over coal scam, parliament disrupted (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP corners PM over coal allotment, Lok Sabha adjourned (Second Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Coal allotment: Chorus for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned (Third Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Parliament again disrupted over coal scam (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- BJP presses for PM's resignation, parliament adjourned till Thursday (Third Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- BJP renews demand for PM's resignation, stalls parliament (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Parliament again disrupted over coal saga (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand, parliament adjourned again (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- BJP wants PM to go, to disrupt parliament - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP protests force Lok Sabha to adjourn for day (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- BJP disrupts parliament again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,