Parliament again disrupted over coal saga (Second Lead)August 23rd, 2012 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) Both houses of parliament were disrupted for the third day Thursday as the opposition insisted on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s resignation over the alleged faulty allocation of coal blocks.
Both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha were adjourned till 2 p.m. as Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members kept raising slogans demanding Manmohan Singh’s exit.
As soon as the Lok Sabha met at 11, BJP members refused to allow the proceedings and rushed noisily towards Speaker Meira Kumar’s podium.
The house was adjourned till 12 noon, followed by another adjournment till 2 p.m.
Congress MPs were equally vociferous. Some waved copies of The Indian Express which carried a report saying opposition-ruled states had opposed auction of coal blocks.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinder kept pleading with the opposition that the prime minister should be allowed to speak.
“The prime minister is ready to discuss the issue provided they (BJP) let the house function,” he said.
Similar scenes were seen in the Rajya Sabha, forcing its adjournment till 12 noon, then till 12.30 and finally until 2.
Here too BJP MPs raised slogans demanding the prime minister’s resignation.
However, MPs from the BJP’s ally, the Janata Dal-United, did not take part in the sloganeering. The JD-U favours a discussion on the alleged scam.
At 12.30, before the upper house was adjourned, less than 15 members from the treasury benches were present. There was no minister.
Chairman M. Hamid Ansari called an all-party meeting to end the logjam but it ended inconclusively, a member who was present said.
India’s official auditor last week revealed that the lack of transparency in the allocation of coal blocks to private players resulted in a loss of a whopping Rs.1.85 lakh crore ($37 billion) to the exchequer.
Parliament has been stalled since Tuesday over the report.
- Parliament adjourned for the day over coal saga (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Parliament adjourned again over coal allocation - Aug 27, 2012
- Furore in Lok Sabha over coal scam - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP corners PM over coal scam, parliament disrupted (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Parliament again disrupted over coal scam (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- BJP stalls parliament again - Aug 28, 2012
- Parliament adjourned for third day; all-party meeting on Monday (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Day 10: parliament disrupted again - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP disrupts parliament again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Parliament again disrupted over coal scam - Aug 23, 2012
- Logjam continues, parliament adjourned - Aug 30, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand, parliament adjourned again (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Parliament adjourned as logjam continues - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP keeps up protest, parliament disrupted again - Sep 03, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: adjournment, congress mps, crore, hamid ansari, home minister, houses of parliament, indian express, janata party, logjam, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, meira kumar, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private players, rajya sabha, shinder, upper house, whopping rs