Parliament adjourned, but Lok Sabha passes appropriation bills (Second Lead)December 1st, 2010 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 1 (IANS) Parliament was adjourned for the 14th consecutive day Wednesday, but the Lok Sabha managed to pass the appropriation bills by a voice vote amid slogan shouting by opposition members for a parliamentary probe into the 2G spectrum allotment of 2008.
After the Lok Sabha met at 12 noon following an adjournment earlier, opposition members rushed to the well of the house demanding constitution of a joint parliamentary committee (JPC). Speaker Meira Kumar went ahead with the business listed for the day amid the din.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee moved the appropriation bills and the supplementary demands for grants which were passed by a voice vote. The bills propose to authorise payment and appropriation of sums from and out of the consolidated fund of India for the services of the financial year 2010-11.
Earlier, the proceedings began in the Lok Sabha with the speaker reading out an obituary refrence for former union minister Mahabir Prasad who died in the Gangaram Hospital Nov 29.
Immediately after the one-minute silence, opposition MPs were on their feet, raising slogans of “We want JPC”. Within a couple of minutes, the speaker adjourned the house till noon.
In the Rajya Sabha too, opposition members continued to press for their demand for a JPC. The house was first adjourned till noon and then for the day.
The question hour was taken up in the Lok Sabha only Nov 9 when the winter session began. In the Rajya Sabha, the crucial question hour was never taken up due to continuing opposition protests.
-Indo-Asian News Service
- Parliament adjourned again, but Lok Sabha transacts financial business (Third Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- Parliament adjourned for 14th day over JPC demand (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- Some financial business as parliament adjourned again (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned till 12, Rajya Sabha for day - Dec 06, 2010
- Parliament adjourned till noon - yet again - Dec 10, 2010
- Parliament adjourned again but some business done (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Day 9 of parliament adjournment, JPC deadlock continues (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Parliament adjourned over JPC demand (Lead) - Dec 09, 2010
- Parliament adjourned till noon - Dec 09, 2010
- Parliament adjourned again till noon - Dec 07, 2010
- Parliament adjourned again, BJP vows protests (Lead) - Dec 10, 2010
- Parliament adjourned for the 18th day (Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- Parliament adjourned again as JPC deadlock continues (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- 2G spectrum logjam continues, parliament adjourned again (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Both houses of parliament adjourned again - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: appropriation bills, asian news, consolidated fund, finance minister, gangaram hospital, Lok Sabha, mahabir prasad, meira kumar, minute silence, opposition members, opposition mps, opposition protests, parliamentary committee, parliamentary probe, pranab mukherjee, rajya sabha, refrence, silence opposition, voice vote, winter session