Paramilitary forces should guard EVMs in Jharkhand: BJPApril 27th, 2009 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 27 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Jharkhand Monday demanded that paramilitary forces be deployed at all the strongrooms in the state where electronic voting machines (EVM) have been kept after two phases of polling.
“Why has the state police been deployed at strongrooms where the sealed EVMs are kept? We suspect the machines could be tampered with to help candidates of the Congress and JMM (Jharkhand Mukti Morcha),” state BJP president Raghubar Das told IANS.
“The Election Commission and the governor failed to conduct free and fair elections in the state and large-scale violence took place. Now the EVM machines are guarded by the state police and homeguards. Till last election, the machines were guarded by paramilitary forces. We demand that paramilitary forces be deployed at all the 14 strongrooms of the state where the sealed EVM machines are kept,” he said.
Polling for the 14 Lok Sabha seats from Jharkhand took place in the first two phases of elections April 16 and April 23.
The BJP leader added that his party workers would now guard the strong rooms as they had no faith in the present government.
“We have no faith in the present state machinery. Governor Syed Sibte Razi is working as a Congress agent in the state,” Das remarked.
Personnel of the Jharkhand Armed Police (JAP) and the Special Auxiliary Police (SAP) of the state police are currently deployed at the strongrooms.
- 'No damage to EVMs in Lucknow strong-room' - Feb 26, 2012
- BJP demands paramilitary forces at all polling stations in Jharkhand - Apr 20, 2009
- First phase of Bihar elections witnesses 53 per cent polling - Oct 21, 2010
- Deploy paramilitary forces at counting centres: Jayalalithaa - Apr 19, 2011
- Security beefed up ahead of first phase of West Bengal assembly polls - Apr 17, 2011
- 30,000 cops to ensure peaceful Delhi civic polls - Apr 12, 2012
- BJP demands probe in Razi's role during central rule in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2009
- 39 percent turnout in fifth phase of UP poll (Second lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Brisk polling in fifth phase of UP poll (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- All roads to UP Raj Bhavan barricaded - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP accuses Jharkhand governor of violating model code - Mar 25, 2009
- Campaign for second phase of Bihar polls to end today - Oct 23, 2010
- Bihar seeks security at all booths for panchayat polls - Dec 22, 2010
- Bengal polls end with heavy voting in Maoist heartland (Intro Roundup) - May 10, 2011
- Polling underway for first phase of Assam elections - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: armed police, auxiliary police, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp president, congress agent, election commission, electronic voting machines, evms, jharkhand mukti morcha, jmm, last election, lok sabha seats, mukti, paramilitary forces, present government, razi, state machinery, state police, strong rooms