Palestinians jailed in Israel go on hunger strikeApril 17th, 2012 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah, April 17 (IANS) Palestinians jailed in Israel began a hunger strike on Tuesday demanding an improvement of their detention conditions.
Qadoura Fares of the Palestinian Prisoner’s Club said about 1, 500 detainees joined the strike on Tuesday, who represent different factions in all Israeli detention facilities and prisons, reported Xinhua.
He added that more prisoners will join the strike if their demands are not met.
The prisoners mainly want an end to the administrative detention, which allows Israel to hold Palestinian activists without a charge, based on secret information that Israel says can not be revealed in courts.
Currently, there are 309 Palestinians held on administrative detention.
The hunger strikers are also pressing Israel to end the policy of solitary confinement and to allow families of Gazan prisoners to visit them.
Representatives of the prisoners have met officials from Israel Prison Service, who promised to respond to the prisoners’ demands in two weeks, according to Fares.
The strike coincides with the Palestinian Prisoners’ Day, which marks the release of the first Palestinian prisoner in the first exchange deal between Israel and the Palestinians in 1974.
Also on Tuesday, Israel is expected to free a Palestinian prisoner who fasted for 66 days to protest his administrative detention. Khader Adnan, a detained Islamic Jihad member, ended his strike in February after Israel agreed to release him in April.
Another Islamic Jihad member from the West Bank, Hana Shalabi, was released and transferred to Gaza after she had been fasting for 43 days.
Israel holds nearly 5,000 Palestinians, including nine female prisoners. There are 120 prisoners who were arrested before the creation of the Palestinian National Authority in 1994.
- Palestinian women protest in support of hunger striker - Mar 08, 2012
- Palestinian protesters clash with Israeli army in West Bank - Feb 12, 2012
- 'Press Israel to meet Palestinian prisoners' demands' - May 08, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Egypt frees 14 Palestinian prisoners - Apr 06, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Palestinians organise local marathon to reject Israeli one - Mar 19, 2012
- Israel raids Palestinian TV stations in Ramallah - Mar 01, 2012
- Palestinians seek political, financial support from Baghdad Arab summit - Mar 26, 2012
- Tamil prisoners on hunger strike in Sri Lanka - May 21, 2012
- Israel arrests top Hamas militant - Mar 14, 2010
- Israel should meet its obligations to revive peace: Abbas - Dec 31, 2011
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: administrative detention, adnan, detention facilities, exchange deal, factions, female prisoners, first exchange, hunger strike, hunger strikers, islamic jihad, israel prison service, palestinian activists, palestinian national authority, palestinian prisoners, palestinians, ramallah, secret information, shalabi, solitary confinement, xinhua