Palestinians agree to prohibit internal violenceMarch 14th, 2009 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza City, March 14 (DPA) Palestinian reconciliation negotiators signed an agreement in Cairo to prohibit fighting or the use of weapons to settle internal disputes, a Palestinian academic said Saturday.
The agreement was ratified as rival Palestinian factions continued intense talks to reach an agreement on broader issues such as the formation of a unity government to replace the Hamas-led government in the Gaza Strip and the Western-backed government in the West Bank formed by President Mahmoud Abbas of the Fatah movement.
Yasser al-Wadia, the independent academic member of the reconciliation committee, said his committee had made great progress.
The work of the other committees - especially those dealing with the formation of a government and reforms in the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) - were facing several obstacles, other officials said.
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Palestinian's national unity government likely in ten days: official - May 28, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Hamas PM reshuffles cabinet - Sep 03, 2012
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
- India welcomes Fatah-Hamas agreement - May 06, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Hamas accuses Fatah of blocking dialogue - Mar 15, 2009
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: academic member, fatah, fatah movement, gaza city, gaza strip, hamas, internal disputes, internal violence, mahmoud abbas, negotiators, palestinian liberation organization, palestinians, plo, president mahmoud abbas, reconciliation, rival palestinian factions, unity government, use of weapons, west bank, yasser