Palestinian women protest in support of hunger strikerMarch 8th, 2012 - 11:36 pm ICT by IANS
Ramallah/Gaza, March 8 (IANS) Hundreds of Palestinian women Thursday celebrated International Women’s Day by protesting in solidarity with a female hunger striker jailed by Israel.
The protests were held in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip to mark the 22nd day of Hana Shalabi’s hunger strike, reported Xinhua.
In the West Bank, the demonstrators marched to Qalandya checkpoint between Ramallah and Jerusalem, throwing stones at the Israeli soldiers, who responded with tear gas.
In Gaza, the women gathered in the Unknown Soldier Park, waving Palestinian flags and posters for Shalabi.
Shalabi, who comes from the West Bank, demands an end to her administrative detention, under which prisoners can be held for years without a trial.
Shalabi, an Islamic Jihad member, was arrested in February, about three months after she was freed along with hundreds of others under a prisoner swap deal between Israel and the Gaza- based Islamic Hamas movement.
On Feb 21, an Islamic Jihad leader jailed by Israel, Khader Adnan, stopped hunger striking on the 66th day after Israel agreed not to extend or renew his administrative detention which ends in April.
Israel holds about 5,000 Palestinians, 309 of whom are on administrative detention.
- Palestinians jailed in Israel go on hunger strike - Apr 17, 2012
- Palestinian protesters clash with Israeli army in West Bank - Feb 12, 2012
- 'Press Israel to meet Palestinian prisoners' demands' - May 08, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israel to free 550 prisoners in swap deal - Dec 15, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Egypt frees 14 Palestinian prisoners - Apr 06, 2011
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Israel raids Palestinian TV stations in Ramallah - Mar 01, 2012
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,