Palestinian militants fire rocket into IsraelSeptember 4th, 2010 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza, Sep 4 (IANS) Palestinian militants fired a rocket Saturday from the Gaza Strip into Israel, the first such attack since direct peace talks between Israel and the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) resumed two days ago.
The armed wing of the Popular Resistance Committee (PRC), a group loyal to Islamic Hamas movement which controls Gaza, claimed responsibility for the attack that caused no damage or casualties, Xinhua reported.
The attack was “in response to the ongoing crimes by the Israeli occupation and to emphasise the liberation of all Palestinian land in this way,” the PRC said in a statement.
Israel’s Radio said the missile landed in an uninhabited area in the western part of the Negev desert.
Hamas, which has controlled Gaza since 2007, maintains a shaky ceasefire with Israel after its army ended a three-week operation in the coastal enclave in Jan 2009.
Thirteen Gaza-based militant groups, including Hamas, promised Thursday to step up attacks on Israeli targets to foil the peace talks in Washington as Israel did not commit to stop Jewish settlement.
Militants from Hamas attacked two Israeli cars in West Bank Tuesday and Wednesday, killing four settlers in the first attack near Hebron city and injuring two in the second shooting.
- Palestinian armed groups vow to attack Israeli targets - Sep 03, 2010
- Israeli settlers legitimate targets: Hamas - Sep 04, 2010
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Four Israelis killed in West Bank attack (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Israel allows spare parts, engine oil into Gaza - Sep 13, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- US urges Palestinians, Israelis to end violence - Mar 13, 2012
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Hamas foiling Gaza power crisis solution: Palestinian PM - Mar 26, 2012
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
Tags: casualties, ceasefire, enclave, gaza strip, hamas, hamas movement, israel gaza, israeli occupation, israeli targets, jewish settlement, militant groups, negev desert, palestinian land, palestinian national authority, peace talks, pna, settlers, uninhabited area, west bank, xinhua