Padma awards given to Ramakrishnan, Rahman, AamirApril 1st, 2010 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Mar 31 (IANS) Nobel laureate Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, Oscar winner A.R. Rahman and Bollywood actor Aamir Khan were among those conferred with the prestigious Padma awards here Wednesday by President Pratibha Patil.
In a grand ceremony, the Padma Vibhushan - the second highest civilian award - was bestowed upon Indian-origin American Ramakrishnan, eminent theatre personality Ebrahim Alkazi and founder chairman of Apollo Hospitals Pratap C. Reddy.
Thirty-seven of the 130 Padma awardees are from the field of arts. Among the recipients were Alkazi and Zohra Segal, who also got the Padma Vibhushan.
The majestic Ashoka Hall at Rashtrapati Bhavan resonated with thunderous applause when music maestro and double Oscar winner Rahman and actor Aamir Khan received their Padma Bhushan.
Padma Bhushan was also accorded to eminent cardiac surgeon Ramakant Panda, who performed a “beating heart” surgery on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last year.
About 66 Padma awards were given Wednesday.
Dashing Indian opening batsman Virender Sehwag, Olympic bronze-medal winning boxer Vijender Singh and world ranked badminton star Saina Nehwal were among the six sportspersons who received the Padma Shri.
New York-based hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal, who was accorded the Padma Bhushan, was not present at the ceremony.
His selection had generated a lot of controversy with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) demanding that the award be taken back due to his controversial financial dealings.
- India honours scientist Ramakrishnan, Ebrahim Alkazi, Zohra Segal (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2010
- Sant Chatwal, Zohra Sehgal, Saif Ali receive Padma awards - Apr 07, 2010
- Aamir, Zohra Segal among 37 artists to get Padma awards - Jan 25, 2010
- Ramakrishnan, Pratap Reddy, Zohra get Padma Vibhushan - Jan 25, 2010
- Aamir Khan, Rehman, among Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2010
- 130 Padma awardees announced on R-Day eve - Jan 25, 2010
- Bhupen Hazarika conferred Padma Vibhushan posthumously - Mar 22, 2012
- 19 women among Padma award winners - Jan 25, 2012
- Mario, Dharmendra, Shabana conferred Padma awards - Apr 04, 2012
- Brajesh Mishra, Azim Premji, Montek in list of 128 Padma awardees (Intro Roundup) - Jan 25, 2011
- Maharashtra gets lion's share of Padma awards 2012 - Jan 26, 2012
- Zohra 100 years young, says Salman Rushdie - Apr 27, 2012
- Mario Miranda, Bhupen Hazarika in Padma honours list (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Ramakrishnan, Zakaria, Chatwal amongst NRI Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2010
- Delhi government honours Amjad Ali Khan, Ruskin Bond, Girija Devi - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: apollo hospitals, beating heart surgery, bharatiya janata party, bollywood actor, cardiac surgeon, grand ceremony, manmohan singh, music maestro, nobel laureate, olympic bronze medal, padma bhushan, padma shri, padma vibhushan, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ramakant, saina nehwal, sant singh chatwal, thunderous applause