Padamsinh Patil’s arrest embarrassing for party: NCPJune 8th, 2009 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) Monday said that the arrest of its senior leader Padamsinh Patil by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on charges of murdering a Congress leader has been “embarrassing” for the party.
“Of course it is embarrassing for the party… The matter is still under trial… Our lawyers told us that Patil stands a chance as the case is based on the confessions of a co-accused,” said NCP spokesperson D.P. Tripathi.
Senior NCP leader and Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel said: “As far as the case of Padamsinh Patil is concerned it is the issue between the investigating agencies and police. NCP considers this his personal matter. If charges against him are proved then the party would completely disassociate itself from him.”
Barely two weeks after he was elected to the Lok Sabha, former Maharashtra home minister and NCP leader Padamsinh Patil was arrested Sunday and sent to CBI custody till June 14 for the murder of a cousin and Congress leader in 2006.
The CBI picked up Patil, 64, in connection with the killing of Pavan Raje Nimbalkar and his driver Samad Qazi near Kalamboli in Navi Mumbai, around 100 km from here, July 3, 2006.
He was produced before a holiday magistrate in Panvel, Navi Mumbai, and sent to CBI custody till June 14. The court also directed the CBI to provide all medical assistance to Patil in view of his health condition.
- Murder accused MP Padamsinh Patil fined Rs.10,000 (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Murder accused MP Padamsinh Patil fined Rs.10,000 - Jun 07, 2011
- CBI raids NCP leader Padamsinh Patil's residence - Jun 19, 2009
- Slain Congress leader's wife wants trial in Mumbai - Mar 11, 2012
- NCP MP arrest: Maharashtra opposition creates ruckus - Jun 08, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil charged with Congress leader's murder, in CBI custody (Fourth Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Patil's CBI custody extended till June 20 - Jun 14, 2009
- Forensic experts to probe murder of Maharashtra Congress leader - Jun 11, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil in CBI custody for Congress leader's murder (Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- Murder accused NCP MP in jail till July 3 - Jun 20, 2009
- NCP MP Padamsinh Patil charged with murder of Congress leader (Third Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Vilasrao Deshmukh wants Congress to go alone in Maharashtra Assembly polls - Jun 09, 2009
- Accused NCP MP sent to CBI custody till June 20 - Jun 14, 2009
- NCP speaks up for MP charged with murder - Jun 09, 2009
- CBI to challenge Maharashtra MP's bail in murder case (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
Tags: cbi, central bureau of investigation, civil aviation, confessions, congress leader, cousin, health condition, home minister, june 14, lawyers, Lok Sabha, magistrate, medical assistance, nationalist congress party, navi mumbai, ncp, New Delhi, personal matter, praful patel, spokesperson