Pacific Forum gives Fiji ultimatum over electionsJanuary 27th, 2009 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 27 (DPA) The 16-member Pacific Forum meeting in Papua New Guinea Tuesday gave Fiji a May 1 deadline to name a date for returning to parliamentary democracy or risk sanctions.Reports from New Zealand said that if a date was not set, and elections not held this year, the forum would not let Fiji attend leaders’ meetings or receive aid from the grouping.
Fiji strongman Commodore Frank Bainimarama, who ousted the elected government in a bloodless coup two years ago, did not attend the meeting because he said he was required in Suva to oversee flood-relief efforts.
Bainimarama reneged on his promise to hold elections in March and now says constitutional changes are needed ahead of a poll, and that it didn’t matter whether such changes took five years or 10 years to bring in.
Bainimarama boycotted the forum’s annual summit last year at which Pacific leaders said they would consider taking the unprecedented action of suspending Fiji from the forum because of the military leader’s broken promise.
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- Fiji courts China to Indian community's dismay (Comment) - Aug 15, 2010
- Fiji deports another newspaper publisher - Jan 27, 2009
- Fiji extends emergency and media censorship - May 04, 2009
- Fiji gets passport to poverty: New Zealand PM - Mar 09, 2009
- Former Fiji premier faces corruption trial - Jan 15, 2010
- New Zealand threatened Fiji's military chief with 'loss of family access' over coup - Dec 25, 2010
- Pacific tit-for-tat on cards after Fiji expels diplomats - Nov 04, 2009
- Fiji extends emergency and media censorship for a month (Lead) - May 04, 2009
- Ex-Fiji PM Mahendra Chaudhry arrested by military regime - Oct 03, 2010
- Ousted Thai leader Thaksin seeking Pacific asylum: Report - Jul 09, 2009
- Dictator Bainimarama says Australia once threatened to invade Fiji - May 01, 2009
- Former Fiji PM Chaudhry questioned for tax evasion - Jul 23, 2010
- South Pacific Forum poised to suspend Fiji - May 01, 2009
- New Zealand premier likens Fiji to Zimbabwe - Aug 20, 2008
Tags: 10 years, bloodless coup, broken promise, commodore frank bainimarama, constitutional changes, elections, flood relief efforts, may 1, military leader, pacific forum, pacific leaders, papua new guinea, parliamentary democracy, poll, reneged, sanctions, strongman, suva, ultimatum, unprecedented action