Owaisi accuses police chief of colluding with TDPApril 18th, 2009 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 18 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh police chief A.K. Mohanty colluded with the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) during the Lok Sabha elections from Hyderabad, Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi alleged Saturday.
Owaisi is seeking re-election from Hyderabad, which along with 21 other Lok Sabha constituencies and 154 assembly segments went to polls Thursday.
“Mohanty is director general of police but instead of monitoring the situation in all the constituencies, he went around Hyderabad constituency for one-and-half hour,” the MIM president told reporters.
“Mohanty made at least 25 calls to the TDP candidate (and editor of Urdu daily Siasat Zahid Ali Khan). I will seek the details of these calls under the Right to Information Act,” he said.
Other parties see Mohanty as an upright officer.
But the MIM last month petitioned the Election Commission not to appoint Mohanty as the police chief. The MIM accused Mohanty of being anti-Muslim.
The poll panel, however, preferred Mohanty over other officers whose names were submitted by the state government after S.S.P. Yadav was removed as police chief for publicly praising the chief minister.
Mohanty, a 1975 batch IPS officer, earlier served as the police commissioner of Hyderabad in 2005. He was transferred by the Congress government allegedly under pressure from MIM.
=-Indo-Asian News Service
- Owaisi criticises police chief, angers poll panel (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Owaisi criticises police chief, angers poll panel (Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi injured in firing (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi injured in attack; Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM leader Owaisi injured in attack, Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Arrest writers for reading out 'Satanic Verses': MP (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi attacked, Hyderabad tense (Night Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Pranab appeals to all Andhra parties to support him (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- MP demands arrest of writers for reading 'Satanic Verses' - Jan 21, 2012
- MIM legislator Owaisi discharged from hospital - May 20, 2011
- Owaisi in trouble for remarks on police chief (Third Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Hyderabad MP urges northeast people to stay - Aug 17, 2012
- Owaisi seeks action against lax cops for riots - Apr 12, 2012
- Case of rioting filed against Asaduddin Owaisi in Hyderabad - Apr 17, 2009
Tags: ali khan, asian news, chief minister, congress government, constituency, director general, election commission, hyderabad, lok sabha constituencies, lok sabha elections, mohanty, police chief, police commissioner, right to information act, service ms, siasat, state government, tdp, telugu desam party, yadav