Over 65 percent voting in Punjab bypollJuly 11th, 2012 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 11 (IANS) Over 65 percent of the 1.67 lakh voters cast their ballot Wednesday in the by-election from the Dasuya assembly constituency in Punjab, in which the ruling SAD-BJP combine is locked in a triangular contest. The Congress is trying to retain the seat.
The polling began at 8 a.m. Wednesday and ended at 5 p.m., election officials said here. Voters queued up for voting despite the sweltering heat since morning.
The main contest is between the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (SAD-BJP) combine candidate Sukhjit Kaur Sahi and Arun Dogra of the Congress. Making the contest triangular is Bhupinder Singh of the Peoples Party of Punjab.
Sukhjit Kaur is officially the BJP candidate.
The seat fell vacant June this year after sitting BJP legislator Amarjit Singh Sahi, who was a chief parliamentary secretary in Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal’s government in Punjab, died following a heart attack.
He had won the seat in January this year by a margin of nearly 6,200 votes. The BJP fielded his widow, Sukhjit Kaur for the by-election.
Tight security arrangements were in place for the bypoll.
- Over 65 percent polling in Punjab bypoll (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies - Jan 29, 2012
- Punjab municipal polls June 7 - May 21, 2012
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- All set for Punjab vote count - Mar 05, 2012
- Split verdict in UP but SP largest party: Exit polls (Roundup) - Mar 03, 2012
- BJP MLA in Punjab dies of heart attack - Jun 03, 2012
- Punjab results decimate Manpreet Badal, PPP - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress announces 114 names for Punjab poll - Jan 06, 2012
- Haryana bypolls campaigning ends, voting Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Over 30 per cent polling in Punjab municipal poll - Jun 10, 2012
- Bright and sunny as polling picks up in Punjab (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- 1.76 crore Punjab residents to vote Monday - Jan 29, 2012
- 1,080 in fray for Punjab assembly polls - Jan 16, 2012
- Polling under way in Punjab (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: badal, bhupinder singh, bjp candidate, chief minister, congress, constituency, dogra, election officials, heart attack, legislator, parliamentary secretary, sahi, security arrangements, sweltering heat, tight security, triangular contest