Over 600 people arrested in Delhi for poll violationsMay 5th, 2009 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Two days before polling in the national capital, the Delhi election commission Tuesday said 265 people have been arrested for defacement of property and 341 people under the Excise Act.
Since the model code of conduct came into force, Delhi Police have registered 348 cases under the Delhi Prevention of Defacement of Property Act and arrested 265 people. Similarly it registered 335 cases under the Excise Act and arrested 341 people.
“The election cell of Delhi Police has informed us that one unlicensed pistol, seven country-made pistols, 30 cartridges and 110 live rounds have been seized,” the poll panel said, adding that the number of licensed arms deposited and those whose licenses have been cancelled is 227.
“A total of 20 people were injured in three incidents of violence related to poll campaign and political rivalry,” it added.
As many as 7,588 hoardings, 19,960 banners, 25,946 posters and 1,184 wall-writings were removed. A total of 875 vehicles and nine loudspeakers were seized as their use was found to violate the poll code.
- Anna supporters booked for defacement - Jul 31, 2012
- MCD poll fever peaks on last day of campaign - Apr 13, 2012
- Only 10 vehicles for campaigning: Poll panel - Jan 03, 2012
- Rapist evading arrest held - Feb 08, 2011
- MCD polls have lost their carnival spirit: Contestants - Apr 05, 2012
- Eight suspected Taiwanese arrested in Himachal (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- A retired colonel uses Facebook for a clean city - Jul 11, 2011
- Woman held with pistol at Delhi airport - May 09, 2011
- Two car thieves held, eight vehicles recovered - Apr 23, 2011
- Three arrested, 17 pistols recovered in Noida - Sep 22, 2010
- Arms, cash, illicit liquor: Punjab goes to political war (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 08, 2012
- CBI issues letters rogatory to trace its website defacers - Apr 05, 2011
- Eight Chinese nationals arrested in Himachal (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- 53,000 arrests made in Bengal ahead of polls - Apr 08, 2011
- Election Commission is winner in Punjab polls (Punjab Newsletter) - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: code of conduct, defacement, delhi police, election commission, excise act, loudspeakers, model code, New Delhi, pistol, pistols, political rivalry, poll campaign, poll code, posters, prevention, property act, violence