Over 50 rebels killed in Blue Nile state: Sudanese armyApril 22nd, 2012 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Khartoum, April 22 (IANS) The Sudanese army Sunday claimed to have killed over 50 cadres and arrested 17 others from the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-Northern Sector (SPLM-N) and seized control of three areas in the troubled Blue Nile state, the official SUNA news agency reported.
“The (Sudanese) armed forces have managed, during their military operations in Blue Nile state, to kill more than 50 rebels and arrested 17 others,” reported Xinhua citing Major General Murtada Abdalla, commander of the fourth infantry in Damazin as telling SUNA.
Fighting between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and SPLM-N erupted in South Kordofan state in June last year, just one month before South Sudan officially announced its secession from Sudan, and spread to nearby Blue Nile in September.
Blue Nile state occupies a strategic location as it borders Ethiopia. Around 20,000 of SPLM-N fighters who fought alongside South Sudan against the Sudanese government during the civil war between the north and south are in the Blue Nile State.
The SPLM-N started a war in September against the government in Blue Nile State and controlled some major towns in the area.
- Sudan rebels claim killing 79 soldiers - Apr 21, 2012
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- Sudan calls on US to stop 'carrot and stick policy' - Jun 16, 2011
- 29 Chinese held hostage after camp attacked in Sudan - Jan 29, 2012
- 22 soldiers killed in Sudan - May 20, 2011
- 31 killed in Sudanese plane crash - Aug 19, 2012
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
- South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles - May 17, 2012
- South Sudan accuses Sudan of launching 'economic war' - Jul 26, 2011
- UN chief to visit Sudan - Jul 07, 2011
- 32 killed in Sudan floods - Aug 23, 2010
- Sudan ready for talks with South Sudan: Russia - May 01, 2012
- At least 75 killed in South Sudan attack - Oct 30, 2011
- India calls for dialogue between Sudan, South Sudan - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: blue nile, borders, cadres, infantry, khartoum, kordofan, liberation movement, military operations, news agency, northern sector, rebels, saf, secession, september blue, south sudan, splm, strategic location, sudanese army, sudanese government, xinhua