Over 100 people start fast with HazareDecember 27th, 2011 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 27 (IANS) Over 100 people joined Anna Hazare as he began his three-day fast to press the demand for a stronger Lokpal bill, an activist said.
“Over 100 people have registered for the three-day fast. Nearly 15 are women,” said Anant Nandu of Tarun Mitra Mandal, an NGO supporting Hazare’s India Against Corruption (IAC).
“We have been taking care of those fasting alongside Anna during his agitations. They need special care while they are fasting and also after they end their fast,” Nandu told IANS.
Those fasting include a 73-year-old man from Punjab’s Patiala and a 13-year-old from Mumbai.
“I am not from a well-to-do family and hence my father cannot pay my school fees on time. Every time this happens, I am made to stand outside the class. This is humiliating and I want to protest this kind of treatment,” said the 13-year-old, Pratik Wankhede, from Dahisar in northwest Mumbai.
Pratik’s father Ramesh says that for Pratik, this is his way to register protest. “He studies in a private school and the fees are high. I agree that school fees need to be paid and they have the right to demand so, but children should not be humiliated like this,” Ramesh, a truck driver, told IANS.
Anoop Singh, 73, has been fasting alongside Hazare since August this year.
“I am a strong supporter of Anna and subscribe to his views for a strong Lokpal. This is my way to contribute my bit to the Lokpal,” he said.
Anoop Singh, along with 15 others, has also registered for Hazare’s “Jail Bharo Andolan”.
Another staunch Hazare supporter, Usha Sharma, 40, from Indore has been fasting alongside him since April this year.
“My parents were freedom fighters. Now that Anna is fighting for a second freedom, it is befitting that I support him,” she said.
“My father did not receive pension for many years after he retired, but when he died, he was wrapped in a tricolour and given a gun salute. What else is this if not corruption,” she asked.
Another protestor, Rajeshree Kathait said her husband is a government employee, but this did not stop her from supporting Hazare. “He (her husband) said he will not be able to fast alongside Anna, but did not stop me from doing so.”
- Glad Anna is ending fast: Supporters - Dec 28, 2011
- Anna ends fast, vows to continue fight against graft (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Ailing Anna ends fast, vows to fight on (Intro Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM ahead of Mumbai fast (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Anna set for fast, politicians hit back (Evening Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Government spreading lies about Anna: Kejriwal - Dec 25, 2011
- Anna threatens another fast in August - Jun 08, 2011
- Ramdev back at Ramlila ground, on three-day fast (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Willing to die for country: Anna Hazare - Dec 27, 2011
- Participation low, spirits high at Team Anna fast - Jul 25, 2012
- Government has done nothing against graft: Hazare - Dec 26, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM ahead of Mumbai fast (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Sonia pleads but Hazare not to give up as talks fail (Intro Roundup) - Apr 07, 2011
- Team Anna members to stage protest in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Over one lakh netizens pledge to court arrest to back Anna - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,