Ousted CPI-M MP Abdullakutty decides to join CongressMarch 12th, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) Ousted Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) MP A.P. Abdullakutty Thursday said he would campaign for the Congress in the coming general elections and join the party soon. Abdullakutty, sacked from the CPI-M last week on charges of violating party discipline while under suspension, met Defence Minister and Congress leader A.K. Antony here and said he would campaign for the victory of the Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF) in Kerala.
“I will work with Antony, I will work with the Congress party and I will work with the UDF,” he said. “I will not contest Lok Sabha polls this time,” Abdullakutty told IANS.
Abdullakutty said matters regarding the Congress membership would be discussed with the state leadership.
“I will join the Congress. Matters regarding the party membership and organisational position would be discussed with the party leadership.”
Before meeting Antony, Abdullakutty had Wednesday discussed his future plan with state Congress leaders, including Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee (KPCC) president Ramesh Chennithala and Leader of Opposition Oommen Chandy.
Abdullakutty, who was the minority mascot of the CPI-M in Kerala, was suspended from the party for praising Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s skill in inviting more investment to Gujarat.
He continued to make remarks critical of the CPI-M while under suspension. On March 7, the Kannur district committee of the party ousted the two-time MP for refusing to accept party discipline.
- No problems in alliance, all united: UDF - May 01, 2012
- Antony confident of UDF victory in Kerala - Apr 13, 2011
- Congress to field ex-CPI-M legislator in Kerala by-poll - Apr 25, 2012
- Congress wins Kerala bypoll (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Kerala state Congress gears up for revamp - Aug 05, 2012
- Chandy, Chennithala to name Congress candidates - Mar 12, 2011
- Congress-led front will win in Kerala, says party report - Apr 21, 2011
- Congress in Kerala may be exulting too soon (Letter from Kerala) - Nov 22, 2010
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- 4 Left legislators willing to cross over: Kerala UDF leader - Apr 23, 2012
- First off block in Kerala: BJP names 40 candidates - Mar 10, 2011
- Congress wins Kerala cliffhanger from 'old man' Achuthanandan (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Kerala CPI-M legislator resigns - Mar 09, 2012
- Congress asks Kerala leaders to maintain discipline - Jun 10, 2010
- UDF scrapes through in Kerala, LDF a close second (Lead) - May 13, 2011
Tags: communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress committee, congress leader, congress leaders, congress party, defence minister, district committee, general elections, kannur district, kpcc, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, narendra modi, party discipline, party leadership, party membership, ramesh chennithala, state congress, state leadership