Our fight is for changing system, not power: Team Anna (Lead)August 3rd, 2012 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) Team Anna said Friday that their proposed political alternative “would not compromise on corruption” and their fight was to “change the system and not for power”.
Ahead of calling off the indefinite fast by Anna Hazare and the other team members in the evening, India Against Corruption (IAC), which is organising the protest against corruption, said on its website: “Anna is a hero of people. How long he can remain deaf to the voice of people? He has taken a decision to challenge the political class.”
“Team Anna is ready to enter the battlefield of politics and to take on the government. Anna has said that he will not dilute his beliefs. The political alternative that will come up will not compromise on corruption. This fight is not for changing power but changing the system,” the website said.
Talking to reporters, Team Anna member Manish Sisodia said it would be premature to form a political party and that the public will decide the path of the movement from the streets to parliament.
“Right now it’s premature to say about forming a political party. We will have to give a political alternative and it will come out from the public. The public will decide how the movement, which began on the streets, should reach the parliament,” Sisodia said.
Meanwhile, social activist Medha Patkar, a member of Team Anna’s core committee, cautioned Team Anna on its decision.
“One has to think a hundred times before taking a plunge into electoral politics. If he joins politics, then the momentum gained should not be lost. When people with noble intentions join politics, either they don’t last long or they don’t achieve much,” Patkar said.
Hazare and his team members Thursday decided to call off their fast for stringent Jan Lokpal bill Friday afternoon and give a “political alternative” to the people.
Team Anna leaders, including Anna Hazare, will end their fast Friday evening with former army chief V.K. Singh offering them coconut water or lemon juice.
This was announced by Team Anna member Prashant Bhushan.
Arvind Kejriwal, Gopal Rai and Manish Sisodia began their fast July 25 and were joined by Hazare July 29.
- Premature to form political party: Manish Sisodia - Aug 03, 2012
- Army ex-chief joins Anna bandwagon - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna to end fast in V.K. Singh's presence - Aug 03, 2012
- Hazare, team end fast; promise people's movement as political alternative (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna ends fast, spells out political alternative (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Team Anna calls off fast, to form 'political alternative' (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Team Anna to call off fast Friday, proposes 'political alternative' - Aug 02, 2012
- Government trying to break Team Anna, says Hazare (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Members of disbanded Team Anna quiet - Aug 06, 2012
- Team Anna has hidden agenda, says Narayanasamy - Jul 27, 2012
- People need political alternative: Anna - Aug 05, 2012
- Anna disbands Team Anna, leaders perplexed (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Close aides meet Anna in Tihar Jail - Aug 17, 2011
- Team Anna to end fast Friday - Aug 02, 2012
- Thin crowds on second day of Team Anna fast - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,