Orthodox Church to put up four candidates in KeralaMarch 21st, 2009 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kottayam (Kerala), March 21 (IANS) Irked at the Congress party for ignoring its candidate request, the Orthodox Church in Kerala has decided to put up four candidates for the Lok Sabha polls.
The 2.5 million-strong Kottayam headquartered church approached the Congress party with a request to put up a senior Indian Administrative Service officer at the newly constituted Pathanamthitta seat, where the church has a strong presence. However, the Congress refused.
The church said that four of its members will contest the Kollam, Kottayam, Idukki and Pathanamthitta seats.
The Orthodox Church had sent a letter to Sonia Gandhi expressing its wish that one of its members, who are active Congress supporters, be fielded.
Speaking to IANS, George Joseph, secretary of the church, said that the Congress had not even acknowledged the letter.
“We are certain that we can dent the hopes of the Congress in a few places because we have 298 churches in the state and we are going to take up this seriously,” said Joseph.
The names put up by the church for Pathanamthitta included senior IAS official Jiji Thompson, Lal Varghese Kalpakavadi, chief of the farmers wing of the Congress party, and Babu George, a Congress leader who worked up the ladder through student politics.
“We know we will not win but we can easily take away 50,000 votes which could dent the prospects of victory for the Congress candidates. The laity will respond to the call from the church,” said Joseph.
However, the laity feels that this is nothing but a ploy to source funds for the church in the name of election.
Leader of opposition Oommen Chandy belongs to the Orthodox Church.
- Presence of CPI-M politburo member at church altar kicks up row - Sep 02, 2012
- Kerala's church feud - over 100 years and continuing - Oct 12, 2010
- Battle lines drawn for Kerala local bodies polls - Oct 21, 2010
- Kerala presses for new dam with demonstrations, shutdown - Nov 29, 2011
- Kerala set for a gala Christmas - Dec 23, 2011
- Three leaders desert UDF camp in Kerala - Mar 21, 2011
- Bigger conspiracy in killing, says murdered priest's widow - May 09, 2010
- Union minister's Mullaperiyar remark irks Kerala - Jan 16, 2012
- Kerala LDF's rout is 'birthday gift' from electorate: Congress - May 16, 2009
- Easter weekend, Vishu slow down campaign in Kerala (Lead) - Apr 09, 2009
- Moderate polling in Kerala, election official dies - Oct 23, 2010
- Chandy hopes Mullaperiyar issue will be amicably resolved - Dec 12, 2011
- With choruka, kanji, Kerala observes Good Friday - Apr 06, 2012
- Little response to shutdown over new Mullaperiyar dam - Jan 18, 2012
- Kerala newspaper readers join hands for distribution - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: administrative service officer, babu, congress candidates, congress leader, congress party, congress supporters, indian administrative service, kollam, kottayam, ladder, laity, lal, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, march 21, orthodox church, ploy, sonia gandhi, source funds, student politics