Orissa Youth Congress chief quits to join BJD (Lead)March 25th, 2009 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 25 (IANS) The Orissa chief of the Youth Congress quit Wednesday and joined the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Rohit Pujari joined the party with hundreds of supporters, BJD general secretary Damodar Rout told reporters.
“I joined BJD because it is a regional party and chief minister Naveen Patnaik, its leader, has a clean image,” Pujari said, adding that he quit to protest the party ignoring the demand that youth be given a chance to contest the upcoming parliamentary and assembly elections.
“We were demanding 30 percent party tickets for youth in the Lok Sabha and assembly election in the state. However, our demands seem to have been ignored,” Pujari told reporters before joining the BJD.
Pujari’s resignation has come as a jolt to the Congress that is hoping to benefit from the collapse of the BJD and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) coalition.
The Congress party is yet to announce the names of its candidates for the Lok Sabha and assembly polls that will be held in the state in two phases April 16 and April 23.
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
- Orissa Youth Congress chief quits - Mar 25, 2009
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- BJD refuses to join NDA rally - Dec 15, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik rules out supporting Congress - Mar 07, 2011
- Patnaik yet to make up mind on joining NDA rally - Dec 09, 2010
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: assembly election, assembly elections, assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, biju, chief minister, collapse, congress chief, congress party, damodar, general secretary, jolt, Lok Sabha, orissa, party with hundreds, pujari, regional party, resignation, rout, youth congress