Orissa rally to celebrate dumping of university planNovember 30th, 2010 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 30 (IANS) Thousands of people from a cross-section of society Tuesday took out a motorcycle rally in Orissa’s Puri district as a mark of their victory in forcing the government to dump its plans to set up the Vedanta University in the region.
Raising slogans against the government and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, the protesters began their rally at Puri town and converged at the Beladala village - the proposed site of the project, some 60 km from here.
Several leaders of opposition parties like the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party were among those addressed the gathering.
It was a rare occasion when leaders of both the rival parties were seen sharing the dais over an issue.
The rally was organized by the Vedanta Viswa Vidyalaya Virodhi Sangharsha Samiti - a local organization which led the agitation against the project.
A division bench of the Orissa High Court earlier this month quashed the process of land acquisition for the proposed university and directed the authorities to return the acquired land to its owners.
“We welcomed the court decision. Besides we wanted to convey our anger to the government which has been pushing the project illegally compromising the interest of the state and the people,” Uma Ballav Rath, a protest leader, told IANS.
The Anil Agarwal Foundation, promoted by NRI industrialist and chairman of Britain-based Vedanta Resources Anil Agarwal, was setting up the multi-disciplinary Vedanta University near the Konark-Puri marine drive.
The university was to come up in over 6,000 acres of land with a phased investment of Rs.150 billion ($3.5 billion). Chief minister Patnaik had earlier said his government may appeal against the high court judgment in the apex court.
- BJP activists burn effigies of Patnaik over Vedanta issue - Nov 17, 2010
- Orissa assembly disrupted again over university issue - Nov 24, 2010
- Orissa assembly adjourned over Vedanta varsity issue - Nov 23, 2010
- Land acquisition for Vedanta University quashed - Nov 16, 2010
- Vedanta University project gets environmental clearance - Apr 17, 2010
- Protests in Orissa over varsity land issue - Nov 18, 2010
- Supreme Court bench again avoids Vedanta hearing - Jan 21, 2011
- Patnaik defends Vedanta varsity decision - Nov 25, 2010
- Vedanta University: Apex court orders status quo (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Orissa moves apex court on proposed Vedanta university - Dec 15, 2010
- Orissa legislator jumps on speaker's table - Dec 14, 2010
- Vedanta University: Apex court orders status quo - Jan 28, 2011
- Environment ministry puts on hold Vedanta varsity in Orissa - May 11, 2010
- Controversial Vedanta University gets Orissa assembly nod - Jul 30, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear Vedanta University's appeal - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: anil agarwal foundation, apex court, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, court judgment, division bench, konark, land acquisition, local organization, motorcycle rally, naveen patnaik, opposition parties, orissa high court, protest leader, puri district, rare occasion, rival parties, vedanta resources, vedanta university, viswa