Orissa poor to get rice at Rs.2 per kgJuly 7th, 2008 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 7 (IANS) The Orissa government Monday announced that it would provide rice to all families living below the poverty line (BPL) at Rs.2 per kg from Aug 1, 2008. “(The) government will provide all the people under the BPL in the state rice at Rs.2 per kg,” Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told reporters.
Each family will get 25 kg of rice every month at the subsidised rate. “The benefit will also be given to people living above the poverty line (APL) in KBK (Kalahandi-Koraput-Bolangir districts),” he said.
The decision will benefit at least 5.7 million people in the BPL category and about 500,000 people in the APL category in KBK area, an official at the chief minister’s office told IANS.
At present, the BPL families in some areas are getting 25 kg rice at subsidised rates - 16 kg at Rs.4.75 and 9 kg at Rs.6.30. The fresh announcement will cost the state over Rs.7 billion ($162.8 million), the official said.
The opposition Congress party has described the announcement as “poll gimmick”. “It is nothing but a gimmick because there are chances of early assembly and Lok Sabha polls,” state Congress president Jayadev Jena told IANS.
- Rice at Rs.2 a kg for poor in Tripura: Sarkar - Jul 12, 2012
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Rice at two rupee per kg for the poor in Orissa - Aug 02, 2008
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Iodised salt for Jharkhand poor at 50p a kg - Jul 31, 2011
- Now Andhra to give rice at Re.1 a kg to its poor - Sep 21, 2011
- Film stars, NRIs in Kerala's BPL list - Dec 27, 2011
- BPL families to be supplied 2.5 mn tonnes additional wheat, rice - Dec 28, 2010
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Rights panel concerned over farmers' suicides in Orissa (Lead) - Jan 19, 2011
- Jharkhand to provide lunch for Rs.5 to the poor - Aug 03, 2011
- Andhra's rice scheme to benefit 75 mn people - Nov 01, 2011
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: apl, benefit, bhubaneswar, bpl, chief minister, congress president, gimmick, jena, living below the poverty line, lok sabha polls, opposition congress party, orissa government, poll, rs 2, rs 6, state congress, subsidised rate